Author Topic: Spiral Blades  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Spiral Blades
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 10:39:47 am »
 ;) Mikes new n spiral 03's are the way to go!!!! Great blades!!! Oh I am another one that uses only spiral blades for everything.
I'm from North Dakota

CharlesDearing

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 06:57:28 am »
I've never used a flat blade since I started in 1997.  I haven't read the other comments so forgive me if I repeat what anyone else has said. 
1- Let the blade do the cutting, BUT, feed it a little.  Many people say spirals are too aggressive.  I respectfully disagree.  Granted in some woods any blade will slightly waiver trying to follow the grain but you are in control of that feed rate. 
2- Blade speed is entirely up to you and your comfort level.  I have always run my saw at full speed. (Hegner 18 inch)
3- Benefits--- you don't have to spin the piece around so you aren't AS limited with project size.  Also you can use a spiral as a mini-sander to nip away at slight bumps (wavy lines) in your cuts.
I'm working on a "How to use spiral scroll saw blades" Youtube series right now.  As of now, only part 1 is up because it takes so long forthem to upload, but there will be 3 parts.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwQaXEcHWo

CharlesDearing

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:03 am »
All 3 are up now.  Maybe they will help
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI-f9JfDVfpp9caMIqiWgsQ

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 11:53:23 am »
Spirals are a great option but should not the only blade in your arsenal. They do not have the crisp, straight, clean cut of a flat blade, and are lousy for cutting a crisp font, but for portrait work or cutting a line drawing they are hard to beat, or for cutting patterns that are too big to turn in your saw. I really like the look of a spiral for cutting line drawings like cartoons (Peanuts drawings come out great), coloring book patterns, or to get a heavier line for veining.

You can order a set of Flying Dutchman blades from Mike and mix the sizes in a class to pay the half- or full-gross price. 

The ornament on the left was cut 100% with a #5 new spiral. On the right, an FD-UR#9 was used for all cuts except the outline of the pinky finger (these were test cuts). The spiral gives a heavier cut. #5 will fit through a 1/16" pilot hole. This is a 3.5" tall ornament that would be seen from a distance, so heavier veining is a good thing. 

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ChuckD

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 05:17:21 pm »
No where is there a rule that you can only use on type of blade on a project.  I use what does the best job and most of the time that is spirals.  Below you will see a project called Drinking Wolf.  The top part is all straight flat blades because mostly branches are that way.  The bottom half is water so it looks better using spirals.  I would say the majorities of the projects I have done, with the exception of intarsia, even then some of the veins are spirals, are a mixture of blades.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:22:55 pm by ChuckD »

pddesertrat

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 05:46:12 pm »
That is an awesome picture, ChuckD.  My spirals have arrived.  I am anxious to give them a try.  Got to finish my current picture first.  Too far along on it to experiment on it now. 

ChuckD

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:59 pm »
Don't make the mistake most people do.  Grab a spiral blade out of the mail and throw it in the machine and start cutting,  Guarantee you won't like what they do.  Spirals take practice, then practice some more.  THEN before you ruin a nice piece, guess what you do.  Yep, practice some more.  When you like what they do, then try it on a simple pattern with a lot of little holes, where spirals shine.  If you like what they did then get ready to show off your work..  Good Luck
:) :) :) 

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:38 am »
No where is there a rule that you can only use on type of blade on a project.  I use what does the best job and most of the time that is spirals.  Below you will see a project called Drinking Wolf.  The top part is all straight flat blades because mostly branches are that way.  The bottom half is water so it looks better using spirals.  I would say the majorities of the projects I have done, with the exception of intarsia, even then some of the veins are spirals, are a mixture of blades.

Yes, I completely agree! To me, a spiral can give one effect and a standard blade another effect. That's why I compared it to artist brushes, and sometimes use spirals in specific parts of a piece for the effect.

Ray

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »
Their not my cup of tea -but i can see how some people like them

SMF

Teknoromi