Author Topic: Well, I Thought of Another Question  (Read 7152 times)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Re: Well, I Thought of Another Question
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 07:48:44 am »
I try to release the tension, sometimes I forget.  :o
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

old wormy

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:16 am »
Paul,
Look on the motor of the DW788 and it will either say type 1 or type 2.

pddesertrat

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:05 am »
Paul,
Look on the motor of the DW788 and it will either say type 1 or type 2.

Thank you.

Mine says Type 2, what kind of problems should I expect?

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:47 pm »
This was actually a good question. I really never thought about it before and just left the saw in whichever condition it was when I stopped. Either under tension, or if I happened to have been doing an inside cut, then no tension with the bottom blade holder open.

I can see the benefit of leaving the saw without tension.

Food for thought though. Since I use a foot pedal exclusively I tend to leave the saws power switch on. I know this is a bad habit though, and goes against good tool safety.

I do have a reason though. The Dewalt DW788 type 2 is notorious for having power switch problems, mostly dust related. I've already replaced mine twice a couple years ago. By leaving the switch on I haven't had an issue since.

Again, I don't recommend it due to tool safety, but the scroll saw isn't like a table saw that's gonna remove body parts if accidentally turned on.

I have occasionally hit the foot pedal by accident even while working on a project and the saw does make an awful sound when turned on without tension.

Ray

ChuckD

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »
Ray with the set up I use there is no power to the saw until I hit the foot switch, so I don't think it mattes if you leave the saw on or not.  Both of mine have been on for several "Years" with no problems

pddesertrat

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 03:09:31 pm »
I leave my saw switch on.  (I have a foot pedal).  But even so, I vacuum the saw switch regularly and work it every once in a while.  The reason I do that, I have a remote switch for my shop dust collector, means I leave the unit's switch in the on position. Even so, it quit working once.  The DC would not start even with the remote.  I cleaned the unit switch and blew it out real good with the compressor and exercised it switching it on/off and it started working again.  So I believe, even though it is left in the on position, it needs to be clean and exercised routinely.  Just my experience, not to be taken too seriously.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:29:55 pm by pddesertrat »

Wooden gifts uk

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
I scroll with a DeWalt 788, and when I am done using it I release the blade tension and remove the blade from the top blade clamp. I leave the arm in the down position (I use "The Lifter" on my saw to hold up its arm).

I usually vacuum all of the sawdust off from it when I am finished, too.

I was very fortunate to get a Type 1 DeWalt that had only been used a few times for a very good price, so I try to take really good care of it, so that it will last me for a long time. I've greased the needle bearings with very high quality grease and keep the table well-waxed, also.
Hi what wax do you use on the table

ChuckD

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 03:41:04 pm »
I have my switches sealed from dust.  I won't say with what but they are long and made with thin material that keeps stuff from going out, in this case from going in.  They have worked for several years with no problem.  I do have them hidden with a little tape just so they are not obvious.  And no, I won't post any pictures.. :) :)   

pddesertrat

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
I scroll with a DeWalt 788, and when I am done using it I release the blade tension and remove the blade from the top blade clamp. I leave the arm in the down position (I use "The Lifter" on my saw to hold up its arm).

I was very fortunate to get a Type 1 DeWalt that had only been used a few times for a very good price, so I try to take really good care of it, so that it will last me for a long time. I've greased the needle bearings with very high quality grease and keep the table well-waxed, also.

I'm not Blue Peeps, but I'll tell you what I use, Johnson's Paste Wax.  I use it on all my machines.  Any good wax is good to use as long as it DOESN'T have silicon in it (lots of car waxes have silicon). 

ChuckD

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »
I bought a spray can of "Top-Cote" a long time ago.  It has never allowed any rust and the table is slick.  Do it once every six months or so so the can is lasting a long time.  You can see it here and you may see it cheaper somewhere else, but I like it and as I said it will last a long time.
http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-10220-Aerosol-Top-Cote/dp/B0000223UD

Blue Peeps

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 07:36:48 pm »

I keep reading "Type 1",  I don't know which I have and what is the difference between a "type 1" and any other DeWalt scroll saw?

It's my understanding that production for the Type 2 was moved from Canada to Taiwan, and that the transition resulted in several quality control issues.

I've heard it suggested that the problems have been ironed out, but I do not know that to be a fact. It seems that most people with newer Type 2's are pleased with them, so I assume that any remaining issues are minor ones, but again, I do not know that to be a fact.

My Type 1 is a wonderful saw, but if I needed to replace it I would first confirm whether or not DeWalt has indeed resolved all of the quality control problems surrounding the Type 2's before considering one.
If there were still any lingering issues, I would probably step up to an Excalibur. Hopefully I won't need to make that decision for a long while, though.  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:38:47 pm by Blue Peeps »

Blue Peeps

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 07:45:55 pm »

Hi, I use Minwax Paste Finishing Wax on my table, but Johnson Paste Wax is a very popular choice, and usually costs around half of what the Minwax does, from what I have seen.

bubbaloo158

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:03 pm »
@Ray...

I too use a foot switch with my DW788 type 2 and I'm doing so because of some warnings I read before buying the saw.  I was advised to cover the power switch with packing tape, which I did.  Just over 2 years now with the power switch left in the on position and no problems whatsoever.

-- Bobby

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 07:06:44 pm »
On my DW788 I loosen the tension on the blade.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »
Release the arm tension.  Got in the habit from the bandsaw where the tension is so much greater.  Then I go have a jack and coke and release the tension in the operator. 8)
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi