Author Topic: I Need Quick HELP  (Read 2685 times)

pddesertrat

I Need Quick HELP
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »
I just received some new Flying Dutchman blades.  I notice the blades have a little curve, bend, whatever at one end, well about one inch from one end.  Does that signify anything, like designating that end goes up or that end goes down??  I am using the FD-TC blade which say it is good for Baltic Birch.  These are from Mike's workshop.  The assorted pack.  I'm ready to start so I will be sitting here waiting for the answer!! ;D ;)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Quick HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:14 pm »
I've never noticed any bends in any of the blades I have used but, I can tell you which way to put the blade in the saw.
With your left hand hold one end of the blade up to eye level and take the thumb and fore finger of your right hand and run them down the blade, if it feels fairly smooth, you are holding the TOP end of the blade, if it feels like it wants to dig in your finger or wants to cut your skin, your holding the BOTTOM end of the blade. I don't think the bend in the end of the blade has anything to do with top or bottom and by the same token, I don't think it will bother anything about how it cuts once you apply tension to it in the saw.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:02 pm »
Thanks Rog, for the quick reply.  I will get to it!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:41 pm »
That slight 'dimple' in the blade signifies the TOP of the blade!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »
Okay, I have three different answers ;D!  I e-mailed Mike of Mike's workshop and he said:

" Hi Paul,

That does not mean anything (refering to the dimple). Never heard about it before.
The FD-TC stands up good against glue. The FD-UR has a tinny marking telling you that it is the top.
Two teeth down and one up, is the way to put it in the saw.  Have good tension, good speed and low feed rate.
Blades have a burr on the right side, what makes them cut to the right, you have to move the wood, bottom end, some degree to the right, to stay on the line.

Mike"

I did what Rog said and I only noticed a slight difference, but one side felt a little rougher so I figured that was the right side and if I put that on the right, blade facing me, the dimple is at the bottom.  The teeth are so small I really can't tell for sure on the two down/one up thing.  Even under my magnifying light!  Blind as a bat, now you wonder why I am even trying to scroll! 8)

The way I put it in seemed to cut fine to me, maybe I will turn the blade over and see if I notice a difference. :o  GrayBeard has over 7000 posts, he must have been at this a while, I got to try what he says.  GrayBeard, look at my avatar, you can't have a grayer beard than me!!     Hey, I'm having fun!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:12:01 pm by pddesertrat »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:07:45 am »
He did not know what you meant by "dimple" he still speaks dutch...LOL

That bend in the blade is on the FD UR blades and tells which end is up on those blades. 
If you put the "dimple" down it is upside down I assure you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:09:20 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 06:46:09 am »
Ditto, the "dimple" is the top of the blade.

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:23:48 am »
Thanks, scrollers.  I an really glad to read the dimple thing.  Sure makes things easier.  I had it upside down!...that is why the pieces were going back together as I UN-cut the wood!! ::)

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
Not only is my beard just as 'gray'...if you take that czp off I bet I have MORE gray hair also!

Just take it slow and easy and enjoy our great hobby!

HUGZZZZZZZZZZZ

~~~GRAYbeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

pddesertrat

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 11:57:34 am »
If you have hair on top your head, you have more! :'(

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:29:23 pm »
I definitely have a crop of 'gray' on my head and I really enjoy it...'sometimes'! It gets to be a pain when i cannot get anyone to do the 'styling' I want.....

~~~GB~~~

pddesertrat

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 01:32:10 pm »
I always thought hair was over rated! ::)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 03:49:50 pm »
I am mostly bald.  When a man gets old, his hair is the 2nd thing to go.     ;D     ;D

UHMNL

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »
The FD-TC has no tinny marking like the FD-UR.
He got the FD-TC.
FD Mike

pddesertrat

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
Yep, I hear ya.  Actually I have as much hair as I always had, it has just decided to grow in different places, like out my ears, on top my ears, the top of my nose, my eyebrows grow twice as fast as they use to..... :o

SMF

Teknoromi