Author Topic: How to set to start scrolling  (Read 3719 times)

Offline wm460

• View Profile
How to set to start scrolling
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »
How to set to start scrolling, I originaly bought the S/saw for another idea that didnt work.

What do I need? apart from a scroll saw.

How do I set it?  Some people say a tilt stand, I guess sitting down is best.

What sort of wood is best, remembering I live in Aust, we dont get the selection like you do in the US of A.

Guess I'm looking for a dummies guild to scrolling.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:19:43 pm by wm460 »

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: How to set to start scrolling
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:30:23 pm »
You have some goodquestions. First, don't worry about tilting the saw. You can do just fine without a tilt. There are lots of Youtube videos on scrolling as well as many from Steve Good. Watch some videos and it will get you started. There are also many patterns in the pattern library on this site. Look for a few easy ones and give it a go. We all went through growing pains. We are more than just knowledge and experience,  we are also here to keep you motivated and get you over any hurdles. The number one rule of scrolling...have fun.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:50:03 pm »
Another video suggestion is-> www.youtube.com/countryscroller

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:30:08 pm »
Yep there are tons of videos and tutorial on the internet.  They have been the best source for me on things I need.  I was going to buy a book on it but every woodworking book I have bought was disappointing to me.  Not sure why, I love woodworking, but the how to books put me to sleep. 

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:35:33 am »
Nice thing about scrolling is you don't need much after the Scrollsaw. The only other thing is a way to drill holes. 

I have a bench top drill press from Sears that cost less than $100. 

As far as stand is concerned, I prefer to sit as I am getting on in age but if you have to build a stand it doesn't have to be fancy just sturdy. 

As far as wood is concerned a lot of patterns are done with Baltic Birch plywood but you can use any wood in the shop.

When I started I looked at the videos by Steve on this site and the lessons by Shelia Landry at Lumberjocks.
 http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134.

One thing I have done lots of is key chains and name plates that you get the patterns from the programs Steve has posted on this site.  Big hit with all the relatives and friends and you can use up scraps around the shop.

Have fun in any case.

Don

ChuckD

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:11 pm »
One important thing to remember.  When you start scrolling, don't do it with your tongue between your teeth.  Also don't ask why I talk with a lisp. 
Good Luck.  All you have to do is drill a hole then cut around the hole.  As simple as that.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:46:20 pm »
I tend to sit more but have mine set where I can also stand if need be if I start to hurt sitting too long, at first I did not tilt my stand at all and did fine but after long periods my kneck and back would hurt then read about tilting the the back of the saw stand up, I tried that it does help with the strain I can look down instead of leaning over and looking down to see what I am doing, I also got a tall swivel stool on rollers that adjust up and down so I can find the perfect spot to get comfy.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 02:08:53 am »
Not sure where in Australia you are but if you want some good timber contact J & C Tin Timber Supplies and they will email you are price list and order form. They are in NSW, I have dealt with then  a few times and they have lovely timbers.  You could also try the Working With Wood Shows  I think the next one is in Canberra 1st weekend in September and then there;s the Melbourne one 24th, 25th and 26th of October.  My favorite Aussie timber is Blackheart Sassafrass, cuts great, sand and finished to perfection.  If there's any thing else I can help you with just ask.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 02:20:50 am »
Just found out that the Sydney Working With Wood show is on this weekend, 27th, 28th and 29 Just.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:44 am »
If you want to set up a new saw here's a few things that you will probably want in the long run.
 - stool. Mine is padded and folds up to get out of the way. My shop is small.
 - light. There are lots of options. Mine is an LED goose-neck clamp-on that had the clamp connected by a nut on the goose-neck tube. I removed the clamp and the screw connection fit into the hole that used to hold the hold-down on my EX-21.
 - foot pedal. I think most of the postings preferred the dead-man type.
 - surge suppressor. If your saw has an electronic speed control then you should protect it from power grid surges. I use a strip meant for protecting a desktop computer, and have some extra outlets to use as needed.
 - vacuum. Some saws have vacuum ports. A small shop-vac type is plenty for the scroll saw. I made the adapter from vacuum to saw from a piece of 3/4" pine. It's easy to pull the hose off the saw to clean up around the table and floor.
 - dust masks. The type with a flap near your mouth for a check valve lets you breath out without fogging your glasses.
 - sand paper or emery cloth. A 15 yard roll of 1" wide lasts a long time and lets you rip off small pieces as needed.
 - clear packing tape. Cover the pattern before cutting/drilling to lubricate the cutting edge and strengthen the paper pattern.
 - stick-on label stock. Full sheet (8.5" x 11") label stock makes it very easy to print and attach the pattern. You can get it for about $0.10/sheet.   
 - blue painters' tape. Used to connect multiple thin pieces when stack cutting.
 - drill press. Scrollers usually work with thin material so a small drill works fine. For a long time I used a Proxxon (like a Dremmel) in a stand. That lets you get to the smallest drill bits for the 2/0 and puzzle blades.
 - small drill bits. The biggest I usually use for scrolling is 1/8". For detailed work you can go down to 1/32" bits for the smaller scroll blades. Number drill in the 60-70 range are about right.
 - lots of scroll saw blades. If you buy a selection in quantities of a dozen each you can get a feel for the ones you like best, then buy 1/2 gross or gross for a pretty low price. #1 and #5 seem to be favorites, with features like tooth shape and reverse tooth mixed in.
 - scratch awl. Use the awl to mark the locations to be drilled. It makes it much easier to center the drill.
 - computer/printer/scanner/software/etc....

Is that enough to get started? :P You don't need it all at once, but you'll probably be looking for it within the year. Scrolling is a great hobby, but be careful about breathing the dust - look around this site or others for a Wood Toxicity chart. It's easy to get what looks like emphysema after a week with even some common local woods. The vacuum and dust masks help a lot. Others use fans etc. to control dust.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline wm460

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:43 am »
 Thanks for your relies every one, there is  a lot of information here. Excellent post EIEIO very informative, being wood turning I do have a good head start on things I need.
Marg, I will contact  J & C Tin Timber Supplies, also just put a couple boards of Blackheart Sassafrass. Unfortunately the wood shows are to far away I used to go to the one in Adelaide but they don't have them there any more, living in the centre of the Territory  has it disadvantages.

I wonder if it posible to get a surge suppressor put in the switch board?

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 10:22:16 am »
There are breaker panel surge suppressors - good, especially if you have a service panel in your work shop. Most heavy tools (table saw, drill press) use simple induction motors and they don't much care about the surges. But many hand tools and most scroll saws have electronic speed control and could be damaged by a surge. Protecting the whole building is a good idea. Make sure your panel has a good path to ground - that's where the suppressor tries to dump the energy in the surge.   
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline wm460

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:38:20 am »
Thanks for you reply, I have often wondered about what power surges would do to my power tool especially the inverters in my lathes. I have a sparkie coming here soon I will ask him about it then.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:16:32 am »
Thanks for you reply, I have often wondered about what power surges would do to my power tool especially the inverters in my lathes. I have a sparkie coming here soon I will ask him about it then.
Please post what he tells you.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

pddesertrat

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 09:17:21 am »
EIEIO, thanks for posting the link to that info on wood toxicity.  Very interesting.  I had to bookmark that one.  Well worth looking at by every woodworker.

SMF

Teknoromi