Author Topic: New Member from Newfoundland, Canada  (Read 1370 times)

jlmoulto

New Member from Newfoundland, Canada
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »
Just a quick introduction from someone very green to using a scroll saw.  In fact, I acquired my scroll saw less than 12 hours ago and have done three keychains since.  I started by making 2-3 cuts in a piece of scrap mdf before moving on to a pattern made with Steve's Keychain Pattern maker.  (Thanks Steve for sharing this application with us!).

The scroll saw is a 2 speed mastercraft that is about 10 years old.  I acquired it for $40.00 recognizing I might need to upgrade later.  The blade I used is a #5.  It came with the saw in a package, but I could not read any other information on it!!!

I've attached a picture of my first project below.  I've got a lot to learn and lots of practice but it should be fun.

btw the wood used for this project was just under 1/2" think and came from a discarded drawer from an old coffee table.  I think it is oak, but I'm not 100% certain.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:20:45 pm by jlmoulto »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: New Member from Newfoundland, Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:10:01 pm »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Rover2

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:35:46 pm »
Hi, I'm Al from Tennessee USA.  From what I see you will be an outstanding scroller soon.  Great job on your first project.  Welcome.  You will enjoy it here.

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:10:15 pm »
Welcome,  I'm pretty new here and although I've had a scroll saw for a long time it has had relatively little use.  I have learned some since I have been here, received lots of help.  Every question I have asked has been quickly answered.  Enjoy your stay and don't hesitate to ask these experts questions.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:08:21 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  Great job on your first project.  Many more to come, I'm sure.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:56 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 01:44:01 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Australia.  That is not bad for your first project at least it didn't end up as fire wood, and don't forget to keep it to remind yourself how far you have come in a year or two.  Just keep practicing.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
Well what do you know another Newfie, pretty soon we will take over the site. Great to have you aboard Jim, this is a great site with lots of wonderful, knowledgable  people. I am Clyde from Newfoundland
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:00:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum jim. I'm Todd from Burgeo NL.where abouts you from? Nice to see other Newfies on the forum.id you got any questions just ask there's a ton of knowledge on here.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

durnick

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 10:01:56 am »
Hi Jim. I'm Doug from England. AKA Durnick. There's a wealth of information on this site and everybody will bend over backwards to help if you have scroll saw problems. Nobody looks down on us newbies. They're just one big happy family. Doug.

SMF

Teknoromi