Author Topic: Oh dear - I'm lacking knowledge for this ....  (Read 1278 times)

oldwood

Oh dear - I'm lacking knowledge for this ....
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »
....And it should be ever so easy !!

I'm doing Steve's alphabet jigsaw.  The scrolling part is easy but it's the finishing I'm struggling with and could do with some help please.

I posted earlier about painting the backer and have got that sorted though not totally to my liking, but it will do.

My lack of knowledge of painting small parts is my next stumbling block.  I've got a collection of acryllic colours bought for airbrushing, but in the case of the letters for this project a brush is preferable I think.  My concern is how to seal each item before painting, and should I seal all faces ?  And do I need to seal the acryllic after painting ?

My second query is how should I have stuck the paper master to the birch ply originally ?  I used a spray on adhesive (Repositionable Spray Adhesive) from Hobbycraft, and unlike the PVA adhesive sticks, I discovered this afternoon that it doesn't come off with water, and needed a solvent adhesive remover to get it to shift - tedious with 26 items to clean.  What should I have used ?

Many thanks
Rob

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Oh dear - I'm lacking knowledge for this ....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:34 am »
Easily remedied, Rob.  First off, you don't have to seal all the surfaces.  On puzzles, you don't want to paint the sides of the pieces.  Acrylic  paint is applied to the top only of the pieces with a brush.  If you want the wood grain to show through, you can make a wash by thinning with water.  Then spray the top with a poly urethane or spar urethane.

You used the right thing to place your pattern to the wood.  To get it off, I keep some mineral spirits in a spray bottle.  A light squirt and the pattern pieces lift right off.  You can dab it with a paper towel in mineral spirits and achieve the same results.  Some people use a heat gun or blow dryer, some put it in the microwave.  I think the mineral spirits in the spray bottle works best (and fastest).  Water will raise the grain of the wood and give you more to sand.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:43:02 am »
As for sealing the wood before painting, I don't think it is necessary for most woods. However if I really felt the need to seal the wood, I would use a strip of double sided sticky tape on a piece of cardboard, stick the letters to the top of the tape (to keep the letters from moving around) and spray it with a coat of shellac and let it dry for 30 minutes or so.
As for gluing the pattern down to the wood, you did exactly as I would have done it. I wonder if you may have sprayed both surfaces which would cause the repositionable glue to become permanent. Usually I spray only the paper pattern and let it set up for a minute before applying it to the wood. I some times have a bit of trouble removing it but, most of the time, it peals right off.
Otherwise, I agree with Julie.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

oldwood

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:57 pm »
Thanks guys - I'll start with the glue !  I sprayed the wood, not the paper - maybe that's the error !  Another day will see if that's the solution.

I did a test today with a bit of birch ply and found that just rubbing over with cellulose sealer prevented any bleed out and gave a stronger final finish over paint on an unsealed surface.  The other thing is that any form of sealer will help to prevent sticky child fingers from dirtying the jigsaw pieces.     

Rob

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:05:06 am »
Yep, that's the problem.  Spray the paper - not the wood.  The only time I spray the wood is when I want a permanent bond, like putting a photo on wood to make a jigsaw puzzle.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 11:28:18 am »
This is a Good Subject.  Lots of Great Information.  I still am using the STICKY BACK 8.5X11 stock I bout on Ebay over a Year ago.
Still swear by it as it bonds Great and when finished cutting just lift a corner and the whole pattern peels off.    No more Spray Glue or Painters Tape.  Yea!  Anyway just my opinion..........................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:20:29 am »
I still prefer to cover the wood with blue painter's tape and then apply the pattern to the
painter's tape with the spray glue.
The painter's tape with the pattern on it removes very easily and does not raise the
wood grain or cause any problems.
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF

Teknoromi