Author Topic: New Saw..  (Read 2486 times)

tundraguy

New Saw..
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:57:04 pm »
hello, got my new dewalt 788 on the stand and ready to go :D :D ;D...is there anything that i should do to the table first...? clean, wax...? and i must say it is very quite and smooth running...Thanks for the help..
Jim..

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: New Saw..
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:59:48 pm »
Congratulations on your new saw! I hope you have many years of wonderful sawing with it! :D  You may want to use some paste wax on the table, just to keep it smooth and protect it.  Other than that - you should be good to go!

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:49:10 am »
Many cover the on/off switch with saran wrap and get a foot switch.  The DeWalt switch is prone to failure due to sawdust, of all things.  Harbor freight has cheap and useful foot switches which will work for this saw. 
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:09:42 pm »
There might be a coating on the table top when they are shipped and sold to keep the table from rusting, I would use a mild cleaner and clean the coating off, and use some paste wax, you can get the johnsons paste wax at lowes, it should be around where the stains, and wood putty and filler is, its a yellow can.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:13:02 pm »
I got mine about two months ago and love it, now. I had an issue that I know others have had, with the table not being 90? to the blade front to back. I had to raise the back of the table 1/4" and now all is well. I was having a serious problem making tight turns. I made a prototype piece out of wood to test, and then had a friend make me a more permanent piece.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:18:14 am »
jrpeteo  .....pretty clever.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 12:27:07 pm »
This is alot of what turned me off of the dewalt, is the mods and fixes you have to do to it when you get. Dewalt did have good tools, maybe its just the scrollsaw they have issues with, why I love my EX works great out of the box, had to fine tune it but overall its great.

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »
Hope you enjoy making sawdust with your new saw.

Bob

Rover2

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:15 pm »
Congrats on your new saw and have a fun time making some sawdust.  I don't have any more suggestions for you on saw prep.  If it is running true and smooth and you follow what has already been said,  have fun and enjoy your new saw.  Show us some pics of your first project.  Al

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 01:10:56 pm »
RE: DeWalt table....

My method...
!. take table off saw
2. start sanding with an orbital sander with 180 grit
3. clean with alcohol after each sanding and sand away using, 220, 400 and finally 600 wet/dry.
4. clean finally with mineral spirits and then alcohol to remove all residue!
5. when completely smooth & clean polish with Johnson's Paste Wax or Boeshield T-9

Then just maintain by cleaning regularly with Mineral Spirits and re-apply the paste wax....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi