Author Topic: Cats  (Read 2806 times)

BekkaSue

Cats
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:21 pm »
I made these cats for my son, who had his 37th birthday in April.   It is made from quilted maple although there was not much quilting in this part of the board I cut from.  I used Natural and Cherry Danish Oil to finish the pieces.  I will be giving it to him next weekend when we go to visit him.

tdpainter

Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:40:36 pm »
great job, thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »
very nice work, is it your own design?
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

BekkaSue

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »
Keefie, I wish is was but no, I got it from "The Best of Scroll Saw" Wooden Puzzles.  It was the first one I have tried from that book.  I am not brave enough yet to try doing my own pattern though I have taken part of a pattern and expanded on it a bit and then framed it like a picture.
If you look under the category Introduce yourself and Hello from New York State, that was my post and I attached a picture of it.
I have been looking into trying to make a pattern from some pictures of my granddaughter.  Just haven't pushed myself to do it yet.   :-\

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »
Great work on this.  I have cut this one before and I stack cut it one with a dark wood and one with light wood.  I then swapped pieces and mixed and matched.  Anyway you did a great job thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

BekkaSue

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 03:31:19 pm »
Thanks DW,  After I cut the puzzle, I realized that was what they must have done from the look of the picture in the book.  The scroll saw group I have been going to also suggested doing it in two different woods and I want to do that.  I have more of the maple and I just got some zebra wood or I could use canary.  Thought I might give it a try.  As for stacking the wood and cutting it that way - I had more trouble cutting through the 3/4 in. maple than I thought I would let alone adding to it another 3/4 in. hardwood. I will have to buy more scroll saw blades before doing that  :-\

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:41:42 pm »
Nice one Sue I too have done that and wished I had done two colors but hey stuff happens.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:57:50 pm »
great job, thanks for sharing

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:23:30 pm »
Thanks DW,  After I cut the puzzle, I realized that was what they must have done from the look of the picture in the book.  The scroll saw group I have been going to also suggested doing it in two different woods and I want to do that.  I have more of the maple and I just got some zebra wood or I could use canary.  Thought I might give it a try.  As for stacking the wood and cutting it that way - I had more trouble cutting through the 3/4 in. maple than I thought I would let alone adding to it another 3/4 in. hardwood. I will have to buy more scroll saw blades before doing that  :-\

Cutting 1 1/2 harwood accurately takes practice there is no doubt in that.  You might wish to attempt your first one in pine and stain one.  It would be a bit easier to cut and if something were to go awry you would not have used an expensive piece of good hardwood.  You might wish to practice with spiral blades.  They have a learning curve to them however I have found that they do a pretty decent job on cutting real thick wood.

DW

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:29 pm »
Really cute.   can I ask were you found the pattern?   I would love to make that.   I have one like it.  but not the same.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:21:30 am »
geat job, well done
thanks for sharing
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:04:47 am »
Thats great I haven't seen that puzzle before.  You did a great job and I love the 2 colors.  Well done.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:18 am »
Very nice work,thanks for sharing.

BekkaSue

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 05:57:09 pm »
Lorace-- I got the pattern from "The Best of Scroll Saw Wooden Puzzles"

Dw--That is a thought, using pine.  I think there is some lying around somewhere in the workshop.  I don't have any spiral blades and have never used them.  I have been thinking about getting some.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Makes me want to go right downstairs and start another project.  Of course, maybe I should finish the two I have started and did not finish first  :-[   ;)

By the way, anyone know where, online, I can get mop sander?  Amazon is out of stock  :-\

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:10:47 pm »
BekaaSue you might wish to try here for the mop sander

http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/sanding-mops.html 

DW

SMF

Teknoromi