Author Topic: Windows XP No More Support After April 8  (Read 3795 times)

tdpainter

Windows XP No More Support After April 8
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:03:43 am »
So as many of you may know windows xp is ending all support after april 8. So I'm left here wondering what to do? and I got a feeling that a lot of other people are as well. My computer now is to slow for windows 8 which means I have to buy a new PC, That now only as windows 8. also I don't know if windows 8 well run a lot of the programs that I use everyday. Or I can keep on using xp after the support ends and risk being attacked and I'll have a higher risk of virus, malware, spyware, hackers, and god knows what else can come along. So what would you do? Just thought I'd psot this to see what everyone else's thought on this would be.

Have a great day.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Windows XP No More Support After April 8
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:01 am »
In my opinion, stay with what you have until you really need to upgrade.  XP will continue to function just as it has without further updates.  If your computer is really too slow, re-install the operating system and the software you really use and your pc will be as fast as the day you bought it.  When youo do decide to change, you will be changing to Windows 8 or 8.1, but you will probably also be changing to a 64 bit system instead of a 32.  Because of this, even if your old software works on the new pc, it won't work as well as the 64 bit editions.  I have computers running on both xp and 8.1.  It all depends on what you need to do with them.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:58 pm »
You do NOT have to go to Win 8.1!
There are still a lot of computers out there that will run Win 7....

Check places like <newegg.com>, <microcenter.com>, <tigerdirect.com> and you will find plenty of new & refurbished units available with the 64 bit version of Win 7.

I recently bought a special deal package of Win 7 OS to install on my next computer. It (Win 7) is more comfortable and reliable than the new "touch screen" Win 8.
And Win 7 will be around for a LONG time!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »
Or even vista, I have a computer that had vista and did fine, I now have a couple with win 7 and it runs great, have a new laptop I got the wife thats touch screen that has win 8 its take some getting use to but has not been bad she has complained about it. If you have room increase the memory it will help, with it running slow, also use a external hard drive to keep and store your other stuff, and try to keep less stuff on the hard drive it will run better as well. My current laptop I have now when I got it, I also got think its a 1 tera byte external hard drive and store all my files on it, and if need something I transfer it, to use then take it off, and mine still runs like the day I got it.

tdpainter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:08 pm »
thanks guys I have been looking around and dong some research on what to do in order to keep xp safe, which is my main concern Security problems. and I have found ways to try and keep safe without updates. Such as having a up to date Malware program a good anti virus and a few other programs might help protect me so I think as of now I'm gonna keep going with it and hope for the best. but not sure now long that well last, because I think I have a problem with my hard drive, so it might die on me any day. so I guess after that it well be windows 8 for me. but like I have heard and read in alot of places today. Its time to move on and give xp the boot.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:49 pm »
You might be able to find a good deal on a used one running vista or 7 thats still useable. Might also check pawn shops, I bought my stepdaughter a mini laptop at a pawnshop one year was about a year old and got it for about half what it was new, still have it thought it runs slow, I want to format and reload windows on it.

A tip as well, most computers sold now and then have a seprate partition on the hard drive its the restore, reformat. It holds everything needed to reformat and reload windows, just click and follow on screen instructions, I don't know if xp computers have this option or not, most pc shops can do it takes about a day and couple hundred bucks.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:59:39 pm »
If you suspect the drive is going bad, buy another drive, install it as a 2nd drive, and then get copying software to mirror image the original.  You'll save a bunch of bucks.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:36 am »
My computer was running really slow as I was running out of memory.  Took it to a young guy who has opened a computer repair shop where he installed more memory and Windows 7 for less than $150.  It now works great.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »
I want to order the windows 7.
Would like that better then Windows 8, my old computer probably will work better

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »
I recently bought a full version of Win 7 Home Premium - 64 bit for only $79 USD.
In the process of upgrading the desktop, more memory, new HD, etc. and will clone the old HD and install Win 7.

Check Amazon for prices in your country.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 02:49:49 pm »
just talking to a salesman that offers me a OEM Windows 7 Ultimate for $ 75,-
did looked in to it and I don't need hardware updates.
heard PC's that switch from XP to W7 perform much better, even with same hardware.
don't really buy it for the performance, only for security and updates/support
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:55:48 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 05:19:23 am »
Received my Windows 7, installed it all and I'm putting back all my programs.
will cost many hours.... :(

but the funny side, I did install my old Corel 9 and with registration I've got the message:

There is no modem detected on your system....

Modems....... those where the days ;D ;D ;D

Then it asks: want to use FTP?

No success, so only option: PRINT IT OUT AND POST OR FAX IT

LOL
:D :D :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:22:30 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:51:56 pm »
I have XPS.  Will i also loose support April 8th.  Thanks  Brian

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:00 am »
I would look at anything older than vista you will not have support or updates.

tdpainter

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 02:17:03 pm »
you can get windows 7. or windows 8.1. most people are telling me to get 7. although I have tried 8.1 and like it but some of my programs may not run so I'm gonna go with windows 7.

SMF

Teknoromi