Author Topic: Spiral blades  (Read 900 times)

lennywin

Spiral blades
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:17:54 pm »
A few months ago when I got into this hobby I found SSW and I'm so glad I did.  Before I get to my question, I want to thank everyone here for all the information/knowledge you've posted on this forum.  I really want to thank Steve for getting it started.    Thanks
Now the question.
I bought a bunch of different blades from Mike including New Spiral FD-NS #1.  I used one for the first time today and was loving it, but, while cutting the letter "S" the bottom section fell out.  Is there to much up n down with a spiral for close fine cuts and I should use an FD-UR for these tighter cuts? Or, should I order some FD-NS No. 2/0.
The pattern I was cutting is Steve's round U. S. Marines plaque.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral blades
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:30:42 pm »
When in doubt use the NS-Spiral 20!
I use them & th 3/0 virtually all the time!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:44:01 am »
GB, With using the thin blades like that do you have a problem with them breaking.  I can't go much more than a couple of inches and they break.  I have no problem with the #3 and up.  :( :(

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:31:19 am »
I don't have much more breakage than with flat blades in the small sizes....

1. Plenty of Tension
2. Faster saw speed
3. Let the BLADE do the cutting...just slowly guide the wood!!!!!

You are not really 'cutting' but using a very tiny round 'rasp' to remove the wood.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi