Author Topic: See Through Bird House  (Read 2039 times)

Don32

See Through Bird House
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:20:27 pm »
I believe in the past year I saw a pattern for a see through bird house that uses plexiglass on one side to view the nest without opening the box. I only subscribe to two Woodworking Magazines, Creative Wood Works and Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts. I have searched through all the latest issues with no luck. I hope someone may know where I can find this pattern.

Thanks,
Don

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: See Through Bird House
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:06:24 pm »
I saw that somewhere too but, I don't think it was plexiglass.
If I remember right, they used a one way mirror or glass. Not sure where I would find one way glass but, I may try a local glass shop and ask about it. It would be a fun build.

Rog

PS. I must have seen it on the internet because I don't subscribe to any magazines.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:45:39 pm »
It is a one way mirror, there is a ad running on tv for one, that hang on a window and see the bird house, its one of those seen on tv ads.

Becky

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:45 pm »
I've seen that ad too.  If I remember right, it attaches to the window with suction cups.  I imagine any birdhouse pattern would do if you can swap out the back panel with the mirror.

Which raises a question.  What sort of glue does one use to attach glass to wood?  I've never tried that before.  Unless you set it up some different way, it would be a weight-bearing joint.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:54:20 pm »
Yes it does use suction cups to hang it up, I don't know how good it would hold using just suction cups.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:18:51 pm »

Which raises a question.  What sort of glue does one use to attach glass to wood?  I've never tried that before.  Unless you set it up some different way, it would be a weight-bearing joint.

Becky,
You would NOT glue glass to wood. You need to make a dado in the top, bottom and sides of the bird house to hold the glass. Much like a picture frame holds the glass in. Then the suction cups would be attached to the wood part or, maybe the glass depending on the style of suction cups.
Personally, I would suspend the bird house from above on a wire(s) attached to the wooden part of the bird house. Or a person could mount it on top of a pole planted in the ground near the side of the house.
Just don't forget that you need to be able to open up the birdhouse to clean it out after mating season for new residents next year.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:51:01 am »
The only ones I have seen are buy me plans:
http://crafting.squidoo.com/-free-bird-house-plans
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10981
From the way I sea these plans are the suction cups are bloody awesome powerful.
As suggested use the suction cups but have the bird house suspended by wire or on a pole planted in the ground.
The first link the window plans are bout half way down the page.

***Merlin***
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:53:41 am by Merlin »
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Becky

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »
I guess I won't ever try gluing it then.  Thanks, Rog.  I'd never had occasion to even think about it before but this thread made me wonder.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:23 am »
Becky, Roger is correct, however if you did want to glue glass to wood for some reason the best way is with silicone adhesive.  The silicone stays somewhat flexible so the difference in movement between the two materials due to temp and humidity won't cause the joint to fail.  The same thing is used to glue up an all glass aquarium.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Becky

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:50:16 pm »
I've never had the need (or desire) to do it.  Still, it's not inconceivable that it might come up someday so thanks for the tip!

SMF

Teknoromi