Author Topic: Glossary  (Read 1733 times)

lennywin

Glossary
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
I keep hearing terms like "Bridges" and don't know what it means.  Is there a glossary of Scroll Saw terms someplace?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Glossary
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:28:08 pm »
I don't know of a glossary as such.  Most of the terms are fairly self explanatory in scrolling.
For example in the case of "bridges", they are usually small sections of wood going from one larger area to another to hold the two in place and together. Sometimes you might have one bridge to hold a pupil of an eye in the proper place and other times you might have two or more bridges holding larger areas together.
A better example is in lettering. A bridge or two is needed to hold the center of a "O" or "P" in place to make it look right instead of just a hole to make an "O"
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, if so "One term down and a few more to go."  :D :D :D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 06:47:24 pm »
Why don't we start building a glossary? Here's a few words to start:

Blank   
A piece of material onto which a pattern will be cut.
Bridge   
A small section that provides a connection between two parts of a pattern. Without the bridge, one of those parts may fall out when the pattern is cut.
Floater   
A section of the pattern that is not connected to any other part of the pattern after cutting. Withou modification, the floater will fall out of the pattern. E.g. the center of the letter 'O' in a Negative Pattern.
Negative Pattern   
A pattern that removes the parts of the pattern that indicate shadow, with the intent of backing with a dark surface. The dark backer combined with the light remaining material create the image.
Peninsula   
A long section of the remainining material in a pattern that is supported at only one small place. The weak support makes the extended shape subject to breaking while cutting, sanding, or handling.
Positive Pattern   
A pattern that cuts an outline of the parts of the blank that defines the final shape. E.g. cutting the outline of letters to be assembled into words to be mounted on a backer to create a plaque.
Render   
The action of converting a color or grayscale photographic image into a cuttable pattern.
Spiral   
A blade formed by the twisting of the blade along its axis to form cutting surfaces 360 degrees around the blade.

Any others that would be worth adding?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »
Designer firewood. A project that cannot be glued back together that one has many hours of time in and you no longer want to mess with it so it goes in the fireplace

lennywin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »
I'm copying these and when it looks like the list is just about done, I'll post them all and maybe we can start a Glossary Category. 
Should Designer Firewood be put under "D" or "F"?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »
Backer-wood used to mount a project on

Becky

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:09 pm »
On the designer firewood, I would put it under F since that more closely represents what I say when I realize what I've just done.  See related post.

SMF

Teknoromi