Author Topic: Dewalt DW788 Blade square to base but base not level.  (Read 3452 times)

jcorrea

Dewalt DW788 Blade square to base but base not level.
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:26 am »
I just got a Dewalt DW788 scroll saw and I am going thru the initial setup.  Just noticed that after squaring side to side the blade to the base, the base is no longer  at zero level.  The stand is level.  To level the base without affecting the blade 90 degrees square I needed to raise the front right  base leg by about 3/8 ?.  The base front and back is not level either but not as bad as the left to right level.  I could not see any other adjustment to level the base.  Is this normal for the Dewalt DW788? 

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Dewalt DW788 Blade square to base but base not level.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:49 am »
Hey jcorrea,
"LEVEL" is not a requirement!
Flat and a true 90 degree angle are the important things. So many people think that level and flat are the same things, they are not. I can have a flat surface at a 30 degree angle and it won't be level or I can have a level surface with ridges that won't be flat.
The important thing with your scroll saw is to have the blade and table be a true 90 degree angle from each other In both side to side and front to back. Of course that can change if you are making a bevel cut in which case the table still won't be level when you tilt it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52:58 am »
You might take a look at some of the videos on truing the blade. The method that makes a shallow cut into a piece of 2x4, then reverse the wood to see if the blade slips into it, is my favorite. Save that piece of 2x4 to reset 90 degrees each time you change to an angled cut. And note that the saw tilt protractor may not quite line up at zero (or 90) when the blade is perpendicular to the table.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:42:05 pm »
jcorrea, when you say "base" do you mean the table where the wood rests while cutting or are you talking about the feet where the saw sits on the stand or table?  If the "zero" is on the protractor below the table, there is an adjustment for the pointer to set it to zero when the table is perpendicular to the blade - it should be in the manual.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:23 pm »
get yourself a small engineering square - their 2 or 2-1/2 inches( harbor freight or Grizzly )
think i picked mine up at a wood show for a bout 4-5 bucks . helps every time
your trying to square up the blade with the table .
Ive owned a few of those Dewalt saws - their great machines for the money .
you will love that saw !

SMF

Teknoromi