Author Topic: Rolling power outages  (Read 2033 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Rolling power outages
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:06:13 pm »
The temps are so low that the power company has started rotating power outages. We had ordered our meal at the restaurant . Got our soup and egg roles and then it happened. We ate the remainder in the dark. So now we are home in our nice toasty warm house. Problem is the outages have not reached here yet. So we are settling in you a cool few hours when it starts. Good night Johnboy and Maryellen. ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Rolling power outages
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »
Just got our power for the second time today Clyde.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
How can power companys do this when its cold more less when its blistering hot. It don't make sense because its cold to have rolling power outage, thats just stupid.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:38 am »
Rolling outages make sense if you think about it.  In Extreme weather, the demand for electricity exceeds the capability of the power company's generating capacity.  Should they just leave everything as is then you get "brown outs", where the voltage and amperage drops. If this last for an extended period, it can damage appliances and electronics in your home.  If it drops low enough, the entire grid goes out.  So, rather than cause damage or lose the entire grid, they will shut down substations to keep the levels up. then next year, they ask for a price increase to build more generating power!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:03:43 am »
it will get worse as we force coal power plants off-line. where's that global warming when we need it? best to set up a way to heat w/o electricity - gas, propane, wood, whatever. get a gas stove and an old fashioned percolator for coffee or a kettle for tea. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »
We are doing ok. Power was out this morning for just an hour. We do have a propane stove in the rec room and a wood stove in the shed. Just had a great drop of homemade soup with fresh bread rolls. Big snow storm coming with very high winds and very low temperatures, factor in the power outages and it might be an early night. Todd how are you are Travis fairing out in all of this since your previous comment.
Clyde

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:25 am »
never heard of this....
we always have power, don't know how these people handle this, but it sounds like a real problem.
maybe the fact that in our country most people have gas powered heating systems has something to do with it.

occasionally when there is an outage due to a failure in a town or village, 9 months later lot's of kids are born.... ;)
so guess that's the best way to saty warm, right ::)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 10:32:14 am »
Here in our part of Virginia the generating capacity is  generally good.  Peak days are usually during the summer when it really hot.  Everyone cools with electricity bu not every one hears with it. Rolling outages are very rare, (can remember one in the last 30 or more years). One  thing the power companies have done is to install interrupters on electric water heaters.  The actually send a signal over the electric lines and can turn off the water heater for short periods of time. Do not have one here, but those that do have never had a problem and I think they get a small credit for allowing it to be installed.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:15:15 am »
what we need is a 100% gas (or propane) furnace. As is, new furnaces will not operate without electricity for controls and blowers. A lot of new construction is adding backup generators as part of he initial build to take advantage of low interest financing, so natural gas can keep the critical circuits operating during an outage. This is expensive energy, but who cares during an ice or snow outage.

Rolling blackout is a second world approach to grid management (third world still has daily outages without any weather event). They should not be acceptable to customers in the US.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:38 pm »
Excuse me
but am I reading this right
Are you saying that your power is cut on a regular basis, that is just not acceptable, cannot believe it, the last time we lost power was during the 70's miners strike
or am I reading wrongly
Dave

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 02:52:14 pm »
no you reading it right.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:20:07 pm »
If Newfoundland/Labrador is like Nova Scotia most, if not all of their power is generated out of province and imported. If those utilities generating power are contractually required to export power elsewhere consumers in Newfoundland/Labrador and Nova Scotia only receive whatever is called for in the contract. Considering the demands elsewhere it's doubtful the utility is going to provide any more than they have to. If their anything like the utilities in B.C. they make huge dollars from exporting power. Guess who gets priority?

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 11:07:18 am »
Update on our status. We had a severe winter storm with sustained winds in access of 100km/h. Rolling power outages were still in effect. Anyhow. We lost power at 9:00am yesterday. Got it back at about 1:00 am last night. That was about 16 hours. Temps out doors was reading -10 with a windchill of -21 at times.we warmed food on our propane stove. We have been in our house over 30years, today is the second time I had to get the driveway ploughed. Tired but warm and not hungry. Many, many are not so lucky.

Clyde

SMF

Teknoromi