Author Topic: ShopVac motor running for extended length of time. Good or bad?  (Read 6506 times)

Malistar22

ShopVac motor running for extended length of time. Good or bad?
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:07:43 am »
Hey folks,

My workshop is in my basement. I've set up a vac system to pipe dust out of the shop and into the shopvac I have in my garage. It's also set up on a switch that turns it on when I turn on my saws. I still have some tweaking to do with where the hoses go and dust collection in general but I have a question I thought I'd throw out at those wiser than I.

I've found when I scroll, I can run the machine for minutes at a time. I'm worried that eventually, all the turning on and off, and running for long periods of time (well, it seems long to me) will wear the shopvac motor out quickly. The shopvac is a heavy duty 5 hp beast that sounds like a jet engine having a heated argument with an air raid siren in the first row of a rock concert when it runs. I thought it pretty clever to have it sit out in my garage instead of my basement cave. It now only sounds like a cat purring instead. But still, should I be concerned about running it with the scroll saw or just run an air filter and let the dust settle under the table, to be sucked up after?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: ShopVac motor running for extended length of time. Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:58 am »
When I use my shop vac under my saw I connect it to the same foot switch as my saw so it only runs when the saw is running. Can you do that also?
I also believe there is a "remote" switch system you could investigate...Try Rockler.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:08:45 am »
well I dont know your machine, but by the sounds of it its a really heavy duty piece of kit so would think its designed for continuous use.
have a close look at the plate on the motor they some times indicate whether they are rated continuous or intermittent
Dave

Malistar22

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:21:03 pm »
When I use my shop vac under my saw I connect it to the same foot switch as my saw so it only runs when the saw is running. Can you do that also?
I also believe there is a "remote" switch system you could investigate...Try Rockler.

~~~GB~~~

While building the vac system, I bought a Craftsman Auto Switch from Sears and it was the best 17 bucks I spent in a long time. However, I still need to spring for a foot pedal. It's on my list of must have's, however, with a baby on the way, spending 20 bucks on a hobby right now seems like a tough pill to swallow.

@ Daveo - I didn't know there was such a rating but your tip lead me to just call ShopVac and ask them.  My model is a 6060 and is as old as the day is long. My wife bought it before I knew she even existed so it's not what I would have bought for my shop but it serves its purpose for now. Anyway, the service rep I talked to had to do some investigating, but eventually she gave me an answer. And the answer is "There has not been any testing done on that model so we don't know."

However, for those others reading this, they did tell me they have an 'On Demand' model 925-63-10 that has been built for intermittent power like we use it for. However, it really just looks like it is a shop vac with a built in Auto Switch.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »
We have a bunch of these where I work, they run 10 hours a day. I also work in my basement, my vac is in another room and is operated by wireless remote control.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:39:32 pm »
It should handle it, you may from time to time feel the motor housing if its getting pretty warm let it cool off, heat on any electrical is its enemy. I have a foot switch and have a 3 way plug on it, so I can have my saw, air pump and if I want my shop vac so when I turn saw on its all on, and when its off, when I changing holes or projects, or drilling more holes it gives things time to rest and cool off.

Malistar22

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:14:07 am »
It should handle it, you may from time to time feel the motor housing if its getting pretty warm let it cool off, heat on any electrical is its enemy. I have a foot switch and have a 3 way plug on it, so I can have my saw, air pump and if I want my shop vac so when I turn saw on its all on, and when its off, when I changing holes or projects, or drilling more holes it gives things time to rest and cool off.

Well, with it being anywhere from -5 to 8 degrees these last few weeks here in Wisconsin, and my vac being out in my garage, I'm not worried about over heating right now! Brr! ;D

SMF

Teknoromi