Author Topic: portrait glueing advice please?  (Read 1562 times)

gilljc

portrait glueing advice please?
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:13:20 pm »
I have just finished cutting my first portrait style picture of a dressage horse and rider, and rather than putting it in a frame behind glass, I want to mount it onto a backer board, I have routed the edges of the backer, and painted it black with a satin finish, and am wondering what would be the best glue to give the best and most secure bond?
I have masked some areas where I could, but am worried about it not bonding thoroughly onto the paint.
this is to be a gift, and I would hate for it to fall apart - any advice gratefully received  :)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: portrait glueing advice please?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:16:37 pm »
For starters, you need to be sure and have a good wood to wood contact in at least several spots. Example... each corner and at least one place along each edge and one or two near the center. Then you can use good old yeller wood glue like Elmers or Titebond. If you try to glue anyplace with a finish on it, the glue won't hold for very long and in fact may cause the finish to separate from the wood.
I use Titebond glue for everything I do and it is the strongest I can find. With a good wood to wood surface to glue to, the wood will break before the glue will let go.
Hope that helps.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Dougturner

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »
Aleene's original tacky glue will adhere painted surfaces. It is available at Michael's and other craft stores. Water clean up.

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:41:05 pm »
To add to Dougturner's response, I used Aleen's Clear Gel Tacky glue a lot. It starts out clear and dries clear. I know you shouldn't have squeeze out, but if you do, it is hidden by the clear glue. Turbo glue by Aleen's dries clear also, just comes out white instead of clear. I buy mine at Walmart in the craft section.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:44:51 pm »
This stuff seems to glue anything to anything. Wallmart, Michaels etc...
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:47:12 am »
Aleene's tacky glue.  You will have squeeze out.  I try to clean up the squeeze out with a toothpick, but some areas are just too tight.  It will dry clear so it wont be a problem.  E-6000 is a great glue to have on hand, but is thick and I wouldn't use it for portrait work.  I use it on a lot of other things.  Both glues will adhere to painted surfaces.  I brush on the aleenes with a glue brush on the back side of my portrait, making sure to get all of the outer edges.  Then weight it down for a while.  Aleenes dries pretty quickly and does a great job.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:16 am »
Aleen's on painted - finished surfaces and paper/  ood glue  on wood to wood and super glue on other things
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:10 am »
 I use Titebond 3 and never had any problems with it, make sure it  is clamped down well. Also weldbond works great also, and dries clear.  edward

Woodchuck

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
This was a great question. I have been facing the same problem. Thanks for all your help, I will try Aleen's tacky glue and also E-6000.

SMF

Teknoromi