Author Topic: Difference in saws  (Read 1858 times)

sawman

Difference in saws
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:25 pm »
I know that this is a question that can ask as many questions as give answers...but...Are the more expensive saws, such as Dewalt and Excaliburs easier to make detailed fret cuts than say a sears 16"?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:29:46 pm by sawman »

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Difference in saws
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »
In my opinion quality of the saw And a good blade make all the difference but if you can't afford a high end saw buy a good blade

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:12:00 pm »
As much difference as between a Mercedes and a Volkswagen.  8)

Cuts better, less noise and vibration, easier to change blades and set tension.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:14:31 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:36:41 pm »
Sawman....Seven years ago I started Scrolling.  Started with a low cost saw.  Learning was a experience.  Good n Bad memories.  Didn't know about Flying Dutchman Blades at that time.  Was using blades sold at Lowes.  Bad....  Went thru 2 more Cheapie saws and FINALLY my Little Brother gave me his Hegner....  Wow!  Major difference in my Quality.  Couldn't believe how much better I was able to follow the line.  By then I had started using the FD blades and between them and the Quality Scroll Saw I think I have pretty much mastered any type of projects.  Just my 2 cents.....................................................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:37 pm »
I agree with Danny;

I have two Hegners and a Jet and I have zero, major problems, with any of them.  The blade travel forward and aft is zero.  Two of them are from the late 80's and going strong.  I use only Flying Dutchman blades. (Polar #5)  My DeWalt lasted less than two years.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:32:47 am »
I started on a dremel.  The quality of my work improved unbelievably when I got my EX21.  I bought my EX used over 10 years ago and IF it ever fails - I would not hesitate to buy another one.

sawman

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:16:18 am »
Thanks for all of the replies. I'M doing ok so far with my Craftsman but I really want to move up to something better.I just wanted everyone's opinion . Thanbks again

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 10:51:04 am »
i had a craftsman saw for years and i still have it.i did a lot of projects with it  and still use it on occasion.i got a EX 21 last year and i would not part from that saw the difference is night and day.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »
I basically believe that it is a poor craftsman that blames his problems on his tools. A lot of very good projects have been made with lower quality tools. However, I must admit that better tools make it easier to accomplish  a project and with somewhat better results.
I started with a el cheapo saw from Ace hardware ($100.00) and learned the basics. Used that saw for two years. (pinned end blades only)
Then I moved up to a Delta saw ($200.00) and thought I had died and gone to heaven!  Spent another two years using that saw a realized the improvement.
After awhile I broke the budget and bought a Dewalt Walt type 2 and have been very happy for the last five years.
I have considered moving on up to a more expensive saw but I think that as long as this one holds up and I'm happy with it, I'll spend my money on wood and blades and grandkids and beer and a lot of other things. :)
So, I would say that you should buy whatever you think would make you happy and can afford and still have money for other things to go along with it......Wood, blades, sanders, finishing supplies, patterns, etc. etc.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »
I'm in Rogers camp. Assuming your saw doesn't have excessive front to back misalignment, as long as the blade goes up and down, than it's up to the persons ability to steer the wood into the blade to create a quality project. I have an Ex 21, but I can cut just as well on my old $10.00 Craigslist saw. The Ex makes me a lot more efficient since things like blade changing are a lot easier than on my old saw. The big difference between your Sears 16" saw is the throat size and the size projects you can work on. The Dewalt and Ex both have larger throat sizes allowing for bigger projects. The blade goes up and down on a hand powered coping saw (Fretsaw), and with practice, quality cuts can be made with those as well, it's just not very efficient. Time and practice will make anybody's projects better.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:05:07 pm by TripleB »

Dougturner

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
A quality saw will pay for itself in short order in the blades it doesn't break, the wood you don't mess up, the improved quality of the finished project, the speed of cutting a project and most importantly the pleasure vs the aggravation of a good saw vs a noisy vibrating, rough finished clunker.

I have been scrolling over 30 years and started with an old RBI single speed that I couldn't keep attached to a bench top with a rubber pad underneath and 2  c clamps. Broke blades like a shredding machine.

I graduated to a wooden arm kit saw from MO with a 1/4 belt driven washing machine motor. Better on blades and vibration, but the arms flexed all over the place.

Next was a Dewalt 788 when they first came out and I used that saw for 15+ years and loved it. I had the saw rebuilt twice and it paid for itself 100 times over in craft sales. Sold the saw after 15 years for $150 less than I paid for it!!!

I recently upgraded to a used Eclipse with 7 bearings and oil bulbs. Absolutely quiet and vibration free. However, blade changes are not tool free like the Dewalt, and top threading of the blade is not user friendly. The eclipse blade has front to back and side to side motion measured in less than 10/1000th of an inch and there are no burrs on fretwork. This saw will outlast me if I maintain it.

SMF

Teknoromi