Author Topic: Fix for Craftsman 21602 saw?  (Read 1243 times)

PDalton

Fix for Craftsman 21602 saw?
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »
Steve, thanks for your great site and videos.  In your video about getting started in scrollsawing cheaply, you featured the Craftsman 21602 saw and you noted that it had excessive vibration and knocking that needed to be fixed.  You finished the video with the saw but I did not see what measures you took to correct the problem.  I have that saw and would like to know how you dealt with the issue.  Thanks for your help.
Phil

Corker2

Re: Fix for Craftsman 21602 saw?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:46 pm »
PDalton -  I have the same exact saw that was featured in Steve's Video, but have never had any trouble with excessive noise or vibration.  What the problem would be if I had it, I would not know.  No question here, Steve, but just wanted to say THANK YOU for such a great site.  I visit here often to see what you have to say, and others.  The saw that I have is like the one on your video.  Like you stated, it is not a real expensive one, but it seems to work just fine for me at my level.  Maybe further down the road, I might get something more fancy.  Right now, I leave well enough alone.

Thanks for you taking time to read this.
Les (Corker2@gmail.com)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:54:18 am »
Do you have your saw bolted down to a sturdy stand or workbench?Doing that and placing some carpet squares or dense foam rubber between the saw and the work top will greatly reduce some of what you are experiencing.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

PDalton

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I don't have the saw on the most stable of platforms (Harbour Freight clone of the Workmate) and no anti-vibe pad.  I exchanged e-mails with Steve and he suggested bolts and padding also.  At present I am running the motor at a speed below that at which the vibration and knocking are issues and am doing OK.  In the future I will probably anchor and pad it.  I am mostly using it for inside cuts on small projects rather than fretwork.  Probably my lack of skill and practice are more at issue than the vibration of the saw.  Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Phil

SMF

Teknoromi