Author Topic: Question about finishing.  (Read 2359 times)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Question about finishing.
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:52:46 am »
I know some of you use 50/50 BLO, so when it is dry, do you spray on the clear polyurethane or do you brush it on? Which do you prefer?  Thanks for your help.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Question about finishing.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:26 am »
Marg, I spray mine on because it is so much easier, especially when you have a lot of fret work. I know it is more costly, but, saves clean up and I can get a more even coverage.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:12:16 am »
I use all kinds of clear finishes, but I never use brushes for anything but painting my house.  (I even spray most of that)
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:20:29 am »
Depending on the fretwork, I will often apply the wipe-on poly using a clean dry cotton cloth - part of an old t-shirt works quite well for me. 

I also use the spray finishes, especially if I need to get in between the cuts.

Hope this adds another dimension to the answer.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49:34 am »
I use spray also.  Small pieces I put on a lazy susan and spray a very light coat in all directions from the top, from the bottom and from the left and right.  The back is done the same way if it gets coated. Larger  pieces I do the same way but use paint points to raise the piece. I tried hanging some pieces to spray but it just didn't work for me.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »
I also spray, poly, shellac, etc.   I use a lazy susan in a large cardboard box as a paint booth.  Great results. 
MOONIE

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »
Spray for me too.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 12:43:20 am »
Ok thanks guys.  My problem is when I see all of your work it all looks so smooth, when I spray I get some rough looking and feeling bits, some over sprayed bits, I just don't seem to get it right.  I have used 3 coats of (sorry I'm have a seniors moment  :), not Tung) oil for years but decided to use the BLO and polyurethane and I'm feeling that down about it I may just go back to what I am used to, even though it means standing there for ages with a brush in my hand.  I know practice makes perfect but I hate to see a good piece of work ruined because I can't get the spray right.

Marg
MARG

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:56:15 am »
Suggestion for using the spray would be to make sure you are holding the can the recommended distance from the project, and use multiple LIGHT coats.

There have been times I have sprayed an object four or five times, even more, but with really light coats.

Best of luck

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 08:01:21 am »
Marg, spray a light coat and use some brown paper in between coats.  That will smooth out the inperfections and air bubbles.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 09:36:51 am »
Try spray Shellac.  It's very forgiving, you can apply another coat in about 10 minutes, the solvent is denatured alcohol (in case you get overspray on something).  If possible rub it out slightly with 0000 steel wool or a scotchbrite pad with paste wax on either and you get a very soft to the touch feel.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
I use "wipe-on"polyurethane and a rag (piece of old "T" shirt) on most of my projects. I wipe on a coat, let it dry (4-8 hours) lightly sand with 600 grit paper and wipe on another coat. Yes, even wipe-on finishes get air bubbles and dust nibs.
After about three coats, I "sand" with brown paper bag and rub on a coat of Minwax paste wax.
I realize that this wont work on fret work very well but, then who handles fret work and few people even notice the finish on fret work anyway.
I use this method for boxes, bowls and vases mostly as people tend to want to pick them up for inspection.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:39:34 pm »
Me too with the brown paper from a grocery bag. Lay the paper on the table and slide the piece back and forth a few times. Takes off the little bumpies.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 01:58:57 am »
Thanks guys I will put all of your suggestions together and give it a go.  BUT one question will normal brown paper do because we don't get our grocery in brown paper bags.

Marg
MARG

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:55:20 am »
Thanks guys I will put all of your suggestions together and give it a go.  BUT one question will normal brown paper do because we don't get our grocery in brown paper bags.

Marg

Yes, any heavy paper will work. It can be white, brown or any color it just needs to have some texture. I would say that anything heavier than typing paper but, don't try a slick finish or wax covered types of paper.
We have our own grocery bags to grocery shop with but when I go to the hardware store and a few other places they will sometimes put a small purchase in paper a sack that works equally well.
Plastic is taking over the world even though some of it is biodegradable these days.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi