Author Topic: Marine  (Read 1816 times)

hotshot

Marine
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:27:39 pm »
Derived from one of Steve's patterns.  Could have made design bigger, but wanted to retain circle of stars on coin.  next time will put "America" at the top.        --------Randy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:51:32 pm by hotshot »

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Marine
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »
Did you forget something Randy?
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:52:12 pm »
Me thinks the design needs to be alot bigger. I can't even see it.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

hotshot

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »
Hmmmm, I went back and put the picture in top level post, sorry about that.

In case you all are getting tired of coins, I've got something totally different (way out there) in the works that I think you will like.

------Randy

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:20:15 pm »
Wowzer. Very nice.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:53:40 am »
No Randy I am not getting tired of your coins, love them.  You must have good eye sight to cut them or do you use a magnifying glass?

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:53:30 am »
Not getting tired of the coins at all.  What blade are you using?  Thanks for sharing.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:40 am »
Awesome work! It is difficult to master the technique to cut the metal, especially small jobs, thanks for sharing your talent.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:36 am »
nice work

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 02:27:58 pm »
Magnificent.... 
This type of project is always Exciting to me.  Need to gather information on the How to's.
          Hint-hint....  Great Cutting....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

hotshot

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:32 pm »
Answers to a few questions and I would love a few of you to give this a go, believe me, the projects go quick, and it is addictive:

I used a Jewelers blades 0/4 for this coin, you can get FD blades (0/3) from Mike or www.sloanswoodshop.com (all sizes) or http://www.bensscrollsaw.com (all sizes).   These blades are very inexpensive, but you will break a lot, so buy a lot as they are often sold by the gross).  I personally get mine from Sloans, but am open to other sources.   You might also try the 0/8 if you want to see just how small you can go.

I use a lighted magnifier on a stand, and adding to that reading glasses to see the pattern clearly.  My eyes are not that good, so your own needs may vary.  Even if you don't do coins, I would highly recommend buying one of these.

For a large coin (half dollar), I can hold the coin directly, but you may prefer to super glue it to a thin board.  For smaller coins, gluing it down is a must.  Drop it in a jar of acetone for an hour to dissolve the ca glue.  

For this type pattern, you don't need the extremely small drill bits, so getting that hole will be easy.  Then just cut it out.  Now for the really big secret . . . remember how it took you when you first started this, to get the feel of the saw and cutting wood?  It will take a few coins to get feel of them.  Just don't give up on the first coin, it gets better in a hurry.  Start with pennies, if you mess it up, it is cheaper than wood.

If you want to try this, and you see something I've done that you like, you can let me know and I'll email you the pattern sized for a coin in pdf format as long as the patterns are "free" and most of what I use is.  If you can make your own patterns, I can send you the photoshop versions to leverage for your own designs (Photoshop is cost prohibitive but these files should open in the free version of Gimp as well)

So there it is, please give it a try, you won't regret it and your friends will love them.

----Randy
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:39:15 pm by hotshot »

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 05:02:31 am »
awesome job Randy, real great!!!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF