Author Topic: New clock  (Read 3746 times)

malc

New clock
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:05:42 am »
Been a long time since I dusted off my scroll saw, still winters coming on, cycling will tale off, so found this clock on the Wooden Times web site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JHnEABOFxc so ordered the plans and off we go. Some of you may remember my Number six clock build some time ago.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: New clock
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:57:44 am »
Hey Malc, we've missed you.  There are tons of new folks on the site that would love to see one of your clocks come to life.  I wouldn't mind seeing another one myself.  Glad you're back.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:05:28 am »
That's a slick looking clock. I'll be watching for progress.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:24:26 am »
That is a KOOL looking clock! Now you've got me thinking again!
Na, I don't think I could handle the frustration again. Mine is in the basement partially dismantled.  :( :-[ >:(

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

malc

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:18:00 am »
Plans are here! Now for a lot of reading before the cutting starts!

malc

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 08:29:56 am »
Well I've started reading, 55 pages of detailed instructions in a nice ring bound folder and 12 A3 pages of beautiful plans! All the measurements are in metric and my plywood supplier is in imperial, but the differences are minimal, going to make the frame from pine and stain it mahogany. But for now hot coffee, a comfortable chair and the instruction book!!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:01 am »
I've never done one of these - can you estimate how long it will take to complete?

Assuming the table saw, scroll saw, drill press, and general hand tools are available, are there other special tools needed for this project? (router, lathe, mill, alignment tools, etc.)
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

malc

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 03:19:51 pm »
I've never done one of these - can you estimate how long it will take to complete?

Assuming the table saw, scroll saw, drill press, and general hand tools are available, are there other special tools needed for this project? (router, lathe, mill, alignment tools, etc.)
Last one took about fifty hours in total but a fair bit of that was adjustment and a steep learning curve. Hope that won't put you off, it's well worth it when it starts to tick!!

malc

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »
Started the cutting, cut out the pine frame and the pendulum parts and a couple of the smaller wheels that all come from 1/4 inch ply, still waiting for my model shop to get in the 3/16 ply I need for the main wheels and the more detailed parts. The brass rod I will get on Monday. I have decided to get only plain brass rod and cut the threads needed myself as threaded rod is expensive to buy. The frame and pendulum will be stained mahogany while the gear wheels will be untreated as any resistance spells doom for a clock! Will post some build pictures soon.
Malc

malc

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:14:16 am »
All the 1/4 inch parts cut and the ply frame. The two pendulums have small lead inserts in the bobs

malc

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:29 pm »
3/16 ply has arrived!! Now the main cutting can begin. Think there are in excess of fifty components to be cut smoothed and sanded. I intend to cut all the parts before staring the assembly proper, will post pictures soon.

malc

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:57 am »
All parts cut now let the sanding and polishing begin!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 07:29:14 pm »
Those links that join the pendulums (pendula?) look really fragile. Do they have to be that thin for it to work?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

malc

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:02:26 am »
Those links that join the pendulums (pendula?) look really fragile. Do they have to be that thin for it to work?
Actually they are quite tough, difficult to see from the picture but they are two feet long and 1/4 inch thick with weight bobs on each end as they are mounted vertically and pivot in the centre there is no real force exerted on them. They will have a brass 4mm  rod passing through the centre gap with adjustment weights on them which will beef them up no end.

malc

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
it's coming together main going train and pendulum complete about a week away from the first tick!

SMF

Teknoromi