Author Topic: Blade breakage  (Read 934 times)

Risseloveswoodworking

Blade breakage
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »
I just wanted to ask that question. I am really unsure as to what to put here.

Joe Adams

Re: Blade breakage
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »
Tho I have never used pin end blades, only plain its sounds like the tension is to high.   or the holders might even be lose and allowing the ends to vibrate more and weakening the blades.  Im sorry i cant be of more help on this one.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:47:50 am »
Hi Risse, I think joe might have the right idea. Breaking blades is more often that not a machine problem and not an operator problem. It is possible to have the tension too high but not likely. Most new scrollers tend to under tension the blades. The problem is likely in the clamping components of the saw. Not all saws are created equal. This can actually be a difficult problem to diagnose if you don't have much experience with different saws. When the blades break look at the blades for clues. Are they breaking in the same place every time? Are the blades that do not break severely bent when you remove them? Try to diagnose the clues and see if anything stand out. You may or may not be able to correct the problem depending on the saw and problem but it can't hurt to take a close look. Sorry I can't be more specific but like I said it can be difficult to diagnose.

cherie

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:21 pm »
I really hate to put Dremel down, but my first saw was a Dremel and I broke blades right and left.  Scared the living you know what out of me.  Not only did the blades break, but bent all to heck.  Like Steve said, more than likely machine and beginner  not knowing what they are doing.  However, the side of you blade holder on the machine has set-screws I believe.  Those may need adjusting to line your cuts right.  The speed of the machine and the type of wood you are using may also be a factor.  Also the use of packing tape helps lube the blade and keeps longer and cooler.
These are just suggestions of what I went through.  I no longer use a Dremel, but a Shopsmith instead.  I sure hope you find an answer.

EZgoing

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:12 am »
I had a bad problem with breaking blades on my Mastercraft saw... till I tore it apart to find the problem(s).

I found that the upper and lower blade clamps were not aligned,  nor were they even close to being set to 90? front to back.

Those problems made the blades “work” or flex with every stroke...

Once those tweaks were done, the blade breaking stopped.

Hope this helps some...

Ez

cherie

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:52:14 am »
Can you find replacement blade holdes for your saw?  If so I would oust with the pinned blades and go with pinnless, if you can.  Just a thought.

UHMNL

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:23:15 am »
Hi Cherie,
Check with Frank at: http://www.pozsgaidesigns.com/ for replacement clamps.
Mike

SMF

Teknoromi