Author Topic: Simple House Pattern?  (Read 1321 times)

ltcsz

Simple House Pattern?
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »
Hi: I am new in the hobby, and have a request...I am looking for a simple house or building pattern for beginners...(Mostly straight lines!)...I want to begin to learn how to cut, glue, do internal cuts (windows, doors, etc)...Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Steve

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Re: Simple House Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:43 pm »
Starting out I would suggest curved lines, straight lines are a challenge for most strollers. With lots of practice it becomes easier, and you learn tricks to compensate for when the saw moves off the line. If it is curved, who will know if you are on or off the line, but with a straight line?...it is a little more noticeable.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:07:41 am »
My 2 cents....Cutting straight lines....Of course keep tension correct, but also keep saw speed around 3/4.  My experience is with saw running slow makes staying on line more difficult.

Cutting curves is easier.  Learn by practice to get good eye, hand control.  Takes time, but
cutting curves will become easy. 

And after many, many hours of cutting patterns you will also say.  PIECE OF CAKE.  LOL
         Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:51:38 pm »
Here's a church pattern with straight lines and windows, but as others have said, straights are harder than curves.
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=11978.0

This is one of the easiest patterns I've made and cut. It should make an easy starter if you'd like to try it instead:
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=15058.0
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

rfarmer

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »
I must be backa__wards. I can cut a straight line no prob. when i have to cut curved or circular lines i get into trouble. I know I'm one of a kind. I guess it's ok if it's straight but put a kink in it and i'm going what do I do, What do I do. ( old cartoon reference for the old farts on here).

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:55 am »
The thicker the wood, the more control you have on turns. Start off by cutting 3/4 to 1 inch thick puzzles. As you get use to turns and control, move to a thinner wood. Just my 2cents worth. Happy Cutting.

SMF

Teknoromi