Author Topic: Walnut Addict  (Read 1197 times)

countryscroller

Walnut Addict
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:16:46 pm »
This is a joke that a guy named Chip wrote on the Lumber Jock's forum. I thought I would share it here.

One evening, years ago, I was walking down the street when a guy, leaning against a dimly lit telephone pole with his hat pulled low across his face whispered ?psssst, hey buddy, want to try something really special?? I asked if he was speaking to me and he said ?yes, You look down. This stuff will put a smile on your face.? He held up a small, brown object and waved it in front of my face. In the light of the overhead utility lamp I could see that what he was holding was a beautiful, glistening cathedral grain piece of wood. I tried to ignore him and keep walking but as I did I heard the words that would forever haunt my sleepless nights? ?First board foot is free. Just try it. Promise you won?t be sorry.?

Well, I?m a woodworker. And as we all know, there is one word that weakens the knees of even the best of us. That word, of course, is ?free.? I turned, grabbed the object from his hands and ran, ran as fast from that sordid place as my feet would take me. I ran for what seemed like hours, streams of sweat flowing down my forehead. Ran in a haze of guilt and shame until, not really knowing how I got there, there I was, standing in the middle of my workshop.

I sat down, laying the board gingerly on my workbench. Studying it, eyeing it, knowing that if I tore into that wicked thing, there may be no going back. No stopping me from a life of darkness (walnut?s a dark wood, get it?). Finally, as if in a trance, I calmly got up and collected the paraphenalia I would need to try this strange and beautiful substance.

Goggles, check? filter mask, check? sharp cutting tools, check. It all seemed to easy. And all the while a voice inside my head kept saying ?stop, don?t do this! There?s so much more to woodworking!? I slowly lowered the goggles and mask over my face. Helplessly I leaned over, my hands nervously shaking as I flipped the switch on my table saw?

It?s been ten years now, in and out of local lumberyard/half-way houses. Ten long years since that fateful night. Yea, I?ve tried maple. I?ve even given oak and mahogany a try. But always that voice comes back to me, beckoning and sinister as ever as I ponder my next woodworking project. And always I falter, weak and hopelessly smitten.

DAMN YOU THORSEN SIDE TABLE CHALLEGE! DAMN YOU I SAY!

puzzlemaker

Re: Walnut Addict
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:17:46 pm »
Good one Dustin!
Pat

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:24 am »
OH YEA! Walnut is adictive I even love the smell, my favorite wood followed by maple. Both make really beautiful items especially gun stocks. The only wood I ever saw that was more striking was Mesquite.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:01:59 am »
I haven't tried walnut for scroll saw work yet, but in woodturning it is a beautiful wood and you can get a very nice finish on it.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:39:33 am »
I haven't tried walnut for scroll saw work yet, but in woodturning it is a beautiful wood and you can get a very nice finish on it.

OH Ya!
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi