Author Topic: Concerning using the POLAR Blades. ? .  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Concerning using the POLAR Blades. ? .
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
Well after cutting 15 different Compound Ornaments using a UR#1 blade I read/heard
about what seems to many is the Blade of Choice for cutting thick wood.  Say 2inches.
..............................................POLAR...............................#5
I have been cutting 2inch Popular with success using the UR#1.  I have finished/cut
ONE ornament using the Polar and Was a Tough Go from the Start.  Even started having
thoughts I had the blade in upside down, but didn't-Teeth down.  As of now I do not feel
I will ever use the Polar for a compound cut again unless I am using Balsa wood. 
....................................Unless someone can explain what I might be doing incorrect?

Thanks for the Replys.......................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Concerning using the POLAR Blades. ? .
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:38 pm »
don't think it's anything your doing Danny i can't get along with the polar blades for compound cutting either.i was cutting some of the bird house ornaments and had to switch back to the ur blades

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:39:31 pm »
I have been cutting compound patterns using UR blades and depending on the thickness and hardness using either UR-5 or UR-7 with great success.  Never goes a small as a UR-1. Cut some delicate roosters out of cedar and used a UR-3 and that works great.

I have tried Polar 5 on 1 1/2 pine and I would rather use a Ultra Reverse as the resulting cut is cleaner and truthfully I find it easier to follow the pattern.

At the club a friend was cutting poplar using skip tooth blades and was having all sort of issues so he tested both UR-5 and polar #5 and his preference war the polar.  I think he is now a convert to FD blades.

Don

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:38:11 am »
Thanks Guys....  I did email Diana Thompson when I ordered another couple sets of bird house
patterns and she assured me that the Polar #5 was the ONLY blade she uses to cut all her
patterns before she announces they are for sell.  Says she would never use a UR blade as
they wonder and leave bevels sometimes.  Anyway....

For any other out there that read this post I want to say that using the UR#1 actually cuts
at a steady rate (slow, but not that slow) and is real easy to follow the line and being
careful at the tight turns they can be made with good precision.  I experimented with the
UR#3 AND #5 and both did not cut as good as the #1. 

Sure hope some Tried and True Polar blade users will respond and tell me what I am doing
wrong and how to correct it if this blade is so good.           Thanks again....   Danny  :+}

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:44 am »
I too prefer the polar#5 for compound cuts.  Seems to get rid of the sawdust better.  I use the UR blades for most of my other projects though.  I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  We all have our own style of cutting and if the ur#1 works for you then keep using it.  The #1 for me is way to small for that thick of wood as it tends to bow on me.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »
Thanks Guys....  I did email Diana Thompson when I ordered another couple sets of bird house
patterns and she assured me that the Polar #5 was the ONLY blade she uses to cut all her
patterns before she announces they are for sell.  Says she would never use a UR blade as
they wonder and leave bevels sometimes.  Anyway....

Polar #5 blades work best in basswood or any soft wood.  If you are using hard wood like Popular wood.  I would make those blocks of wood 5" long and 1.25" think by 1.25" not 2" think. That whats you are doing wrong.

Yes cutting out compunds does take longer to cut out. 
and also make sure your blades are sharp before you install them in the scroll saw and have really good tension on the blade.
If you have a dewalt scroll saw I would set the tension to 4 and half.

hope this helps.

nothing else olson blades the pgt are great for cutting out compounds and a big faster. But they do cost more.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:03:26 pm »
Well I am certainly Happy I started this Post (subject) as Thanks to my Scroll Saw Friends
I have picked up Bunches if Info.  Cyber the Bird House patterns were 1.75 on the thick
side is why I chose the 2" Popular.  All Lowes sells.  Besides OAK.  Nope for that.
Well it seems that OVER-ALL the Bass or a SOFT wood is the real answer.  Thanks Danny :+}

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:17:10 am »
Well I am certainly Happy I started this Post (subject) as Thanks to my Scroll Saw Friends
I have picked up Bunches if Info.  Cyber the Bird House patterns were 1.75 on the thick
side is why I chose the 2" Popular.  All Lowes sells.  Besides OAK.  Nope for that.
Well it seems that OVER-ALL the Bass or a SOFT wood is the real answer.  Thanks Danny :+}

You can get basswood at fleetfarm in the craft department.
another thing you could do is get pine boards and glue them together to get it up to 2" think. 
Lowes don't have much for good craft wood. 

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:17:44 am »
I use the UR #3's on those birdhouses. Danny, do you have a Home Depot near? They carry 2"x2" Cedar. That's what I use. Cuts, and finishes much nicer that Poplar. My opinion, anyhow. LOL! But, be sure to wear a mask. Cedar is bad for the lungs. I use the fan/filter set-up, a mask, and use the shop vac after cutting.

Paul

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
Paul....Thanks for this info.  I shall visit our Home Depot today.  ALTHO....  I have cut
27 of the Bird House Patterns and another 12 from another pattern using the 3/4" stock.
Might have enough for the Nov. Craft Show.  Still have the feeling $5 will be the max.
Any thoughts on this?  Danny  :+}

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »
I'm with Danny have cut a lot of bird houses with different blades but always seem to come back to ur#5 most of the time I can get $6.00 but depends on your area

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 06:51:08 pm »
I'm with Danny have cut a lot of bird houses with different blades but always seem to come back to ur#5 most of the time I can get $6.00 but depends on your area

take a picture of one of those bird hourses and post them in here....

love to see one  and danny's bird house.... or jail-birds lol....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
Any time my cuttings require a long straight cut...I immediately reach for my assortment of Polar blades.
They track extremely well for me and do a great job on those long straight lines!

Personally I would never be without them....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11:06 pm »
I use polar #5 for all my scroll saw work. I do not do fretwork.  I do compound cuts and inlays mostly.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

hotshot

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
I use FDUR for almost all of my < 1" stuff, but Polar for thick.  My impression was the opposite of yours in that I felt Polar cut better for the really thick stock.  I'm impressed that you could even cut thick with UR #1.  I don't think I would go lower than #3 or #5 on anything near 2".

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what works for anyone else but you.  Find your rhythm and go with it.

--------Randy

SMF

Teknoromi