Author Topic: Advice on a Table Saw Please  (Read 2250 times)

countryscroller

Advice on a Table Saw Please
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »
In the near future ( next couple months) I am looking to upgrade my table saw. I currently have a Craftsman Evolve and it has done good for me, cutting down sheet goods, and soft wood. But now that I have used a lot of hardwood, I have found it is lacking power and accuracy. I am curious what table saw do you guys use and the price? I am looking to get something that isn't much bigger than the one I have because of space issue, but something significantly better. The price cap I would like to stay at or under is about $600. I appreciate any feedback and help. Thanks and have a nice day!

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Re: Advice on a Table Saw Please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:06:49 pm »
I have a old Craftsman 10" contractor type table saw and like it. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:10:37 pm »
I bought this one about a year ago and it has done a great job for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GTS1031-10-Inch-Portable-Jobsite/dp/B004O7FX20/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1379977657&sr=8-5&keywords=table+saw%2C+bosch

I also got an Incra V-27 mitre gauge for it and love the combination. I am currently using a 60 tooth blade & the cuts are phenomenal.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:05:56 am »
I am also extremely pressed for space.  nonetheless I got a deal a few years ago from someone selling a 1970's era unisaw with a 3 horse 220v motor and a 54" table, and it is well worth the footprint it takes.  It is the most used tool in my shop.  Very little goes through that doesn't get sometime on that saw.  I like it so much that I sacrificed my workbench rather than reduce the size of the saw.  I also use it as my assembly table, and set a router table into the extension wing.  A good cabinet saw with a Biesimeyer type fence is worth a lot of sacrifices.  I put the saw, like most of my large tools, on casters so I can move them as needed to get the most out of my space.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:02:59 am »
I'm pretty much like Bill the Diver. I bought a Jet table saw about six years ago. It is 61" long and mounted on wheels as I'm short on space too and have to roll it out into the garage to use it. (I have a garage door between the shop and garage) I have to move the wifes car out but, still it is one of the most used tools for almost any job that I do.

I do have another suggestion for your problem....
Maybe there is nothing wrong with your current saw that a new blade wouldn't help solve. You said that it is losing power and hard woods are getting harder to cut well that might be an indication that you have a dull blade. I'm not sure if you have changed blades recently but, an electric motor doesn't normally just "lose" power unless the bearings are worn out and then you might notice a lot of heat or even smoke coming from the motor. (NEVER LET THE SMOKE OUT OF AN ELECTRIC MOTOR you'll never get it back in!  :D :D :D :D)
A tune up on the saw (blade squareness, fence, belt tension and a sharp blade) does wonders to most saws of any style.   

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
I'm pretty much like Bill the Diver. I bought a Jet table saw about six years ago. It is 61" long and mounted on wheels as I'm short on space too and have to roll it out into the garage to use it. (I have a garage door between the shop and garage) I have to move the wifes car out but, still it is one of the most used tools for almost any job that I do.

I do have another suggestion for your problem....
Maybe there is nothing wrong with your current saw that a new blade wouldn't help solve. You said that it is losing power and hard woods are getting harder to cut well that might be an indication that you have a dull blade. I'm not sure if you have changed blades recently but, an electric motor doesn't normally just "lose" power unless the bearings are worn out and then you might notice a lot of heat or even smoke coming from the motor. (NEVER LET THE SMOKE OUT OF AN ELECTRIC MOTOR you'll never get it back in!  :D :D :D :D)
A tune up on the saw (blade squareness, fence, belt tension and a sharp blade) does wonders to most saws of any style.   

Rog
The saw itself is fine, brand new blade in it and it cuts fine with most woods. I guess I should really be saying that the accuracy of the machine isn't what is best; like the miter gauge, it wobbles and not accurate, the fence is the same way and everytime I move it, I have to hold a square up against it(not a big deal), I guess it is just a beginners saw and I am trying to move towards the ordinary woodworker saw now. The saw only costed $100.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:00 am »
I have a 10" Craftsman contractors table saw for about ten years and have really like it and it has given me great service.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

countryscroller

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »
I have a 10" Craftsman contractors table saw for about ten years and have really like it and it has given me great service.  8)
  Thanks Russ

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:44:21 pm »
Get a book from the libaray on table saws, it helps, there is also loads on the net. Most of those cheap saw you can get anywhere, are that cheap, and pretty much a circular mounted on a top and under powered. A good table saw will be belt driven about a 2-3 horse or more, heavy, the miter guage slot will be and should be 5/8 in wide to accept jigs and what nots, if not its a cheap saw. Most of those good 10 in and up contractor table saws are priced anywhere from 300 and up. I have a old and mean old craftsman think its a 74 model 10 in from craigslist for 55 bucks, has the belt drive motor, its very heavy mounted on a stand that I put wheels on so I can move it, can take pics of it if needed. It makes a big difference on the saw when you buy quality over cheapness.

Might do a search on craigslist might find a good deal.

countryscroller

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:29:23 am »
Thank you all for your advice, I ended up buying this saw today-> http://www.lowes.com/pd_101711-46069-PCB270TS_0__?productId=3161103&Ntt=porter+cable+table+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable%2Btable%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

Steve Ramsey (Woodworking for Mere Mortals) made a good review on it if you would like to see it-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnQfJfdEi_g

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 03:01:55 pm »
looks like you picked a good saw. My advice is to now hook it up to 220V. You'll be amazed at the power difference.
Bill

countryscroller

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 04:01:33 pm »
Thanks, I have 220 in my shop now. I am actually doing a little bit of renovation to the shop and putting in 4 or 5 more reciprocals and they are going to all be 220

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:53 am »
Dustin did you mean to say RECEPTACLES rather than RECIPROCALS? it's a world of difference!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

countryscroller

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 07:25:18 am »
Lol yes I did

SMF

Teknoromi