Author Topic: great place for pictures in B & W  (Read 1081 times)

CaptSpiffy

great place for pictures in B & W
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »
   I was fumbling around this morning and stumbled
across a great treasure trove of black and white coloring
book kind of drawings.
   With little bit of work, you could get the pics ready for
scrolling. it's at www.bing.com Once in there type in the search line (for instance)
monkey coloring sheets. Once in there it would be just a matter of
typing in any other named coloring sheets.
    I am going to see how much of this I can get in my pictures file.
take a look maybe you'll be able to find something.

Mike

CaptSpiffy

Re: great place for pictures in B & W
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:11:56 pm »
    one more thing, is it easy to convert these kind of coloring book pics
to be a scroll saw pattern?
    Does anyone have step by step instructions that can be emailed
to an email account and then dumped to the printer?
    I'd like to experiment with some of these pics and need some
instruction with GIMP.

thanks
Mike

ClayJ

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »
Bing is just Microsoft's search engine (like google).  Bing is just listing the images it finds on various sites around the web, it's still up to you to follow the links to the various websites and see what the copyright on the artwork is before you use it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »
Mike - I've converted a few coloring book images for scrolling. It's not hard at all - mostly you're adding bridges where 2 lines intersect (the bridge looks natural in that location).
1. Copy the image then paste into GIMP. Or save it to your disk, then Open it in GIMP.
2. Use the fill bucket to start filling black at one corner of the page, outside of the drawing.
3. Anything that does not turn black is a floater. You need to put bridges to support the floaters.
4. Hit Control-Z to undo the fill operation (you should see the original drawing again)
5. Add bridges. You can do that by setting the color to white (hit the arrow near the Black/White box to make white the foreground color) and using a small pen (2nd or 3rd from smallest) to white-out a small section of the line surrounding the floater. It's best if you can find a location where one line Tee's into another line - white-out the very end of the line that is Tee-ing in. If you can't find one, then just white-out some part of the line.
6. Continue back at (2) to find and remove all floaters.
7. When there are no floaters, go back and look for weak spots - places where one small bridge is supporting a big floater, or where a long peninsula sticks out and might be fragile. Add bridges to strengthen those weak spots.
8. You can use [Image][Scale image] to change the size to what you like. I usually try to get it to a standard frame size - 5x7, 8x10, etc. so it's easy to frame. Walmart sells frames for $3.

That's about it.

I usually use Inkscape to turn that image into a trace - it smooths out the edges a bit - and to make the Red/Gray image for cutting, but you can live without that on the scroll saw since it will smooth edges as you cut.

PM if this is not clear. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi