Author Topic: Finishing: Shellac and Alcohol Mix  (Read 2979 times)

no1texan

Finishing: Shellac and Alcohol Mix
« on: September 21, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
I have never used lemon oil or BLO for finishing and have read through the posts on both of these products. I live in Houston (high humidity) but my small shop is A/C. After all this reading, I think I am going with shellac/denatured alcohol 50/50 followed by spray lacquer.

My questions now are: (1) What kind of container do you use to soak your project? Would have to be a fairly large container for some projects such as door toppers.
(2) Do you leave the liquid in the container or pour it in a jar with lid and reuse it?
(3) Is Shellac available already with 50/50 mix? From a comment by Rapid Roger appears have to buy shellac and alcohol separately?
Thanks

mowerman1193

Re: Finishing: Shellac and Alcohol Mix
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:57:36 am »
I have never seen it already 50 50 mixed.. I am not real up on finishes but I have never heard of anyone dipping projects in shellac? if that is what you have planned.. Seems to me it would make a huge mess with the project?

I used to use Danish oil and dip it in a large aluminum roster pan that can be bought fairly cheap at a dollar store.... and yes I always poured the oil back into the container... well not always but after finding that the old plastic containers I used to dip in and put a lid on to store the oil in would go bad quicker than in the can. My guess was because it didn't seal up well enough or allowed more air as the container was much larger than the can.

Last summer while painting my house and using a paint roller pan with those plastic liners gave me the idea to try that for dipping. But since I ran across the bees wax & mineral oil finish that is now my main go to finish..Have a brand new can of Danish oil and will probably never use it again, LOL

Kevin

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:18:25 am »
I use the shellac/denatured alcohol 50/50 mix more than anything else. I have not seen it already mixed anywhere.  I mix it in a glass jarusing an old measuring cup from the house. You do not have to be exact in the proportions. I use an old rectangular baking pan and mostly a glue brush to apply the finish.  I store the brush in the jar so no cleaning after every use.  The brush lasts 3 or 4 months.  Actually the bristle part lasts much longer but the metal handle begins to rust and I do not want that in the finish. You can purchase shellac and denatured alcohol it quarts or gallons. Dries very quickly and brings out the grain of the wood. I use the BLO/MS only on solid wood. I make my own danish using 1/3 BLO, 1/3, MS, and 1/3 polyurethane. I mix it in the same type of glass jar.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:24 am »
I'm a Danish Oil girl myself but many use BLO/mineral spirits mix.  I have some and do use it occasionally but always seem to go back to the Danish oil.  I use either Styrofoam meat trays or a large cookie sheet to dip my pieces in.  If it doesn't just drip out, blow a little air through it.  And yes, put your finish back in a sealed container.  Mason jars work well for this.  Try to avoid lemon oil because it never dries thoroughly.  It is a cleaner - not a finish.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »
Since my name was mentioned in the original post, I'll respond to how I do it. That is in no way saying it's the correct way, just "MY" way.
I use one pint mason jars that I buy at the grocery store. You can buy a case (12) of empty ones with the lids for just a few dollars. I put a strip of painters tape down the side vertically and using a ruler mark off inch marks up from the bottom to the top. (about 4" actually) When I mix the shellac and alcohol 50%, I just pour in 1" of shellac and then 1" of alcohol and stir. To apply the finish to the project I use a brush or rag. I have and do use the foam brushes at times but the alcohol will dissolve the foam and leave pieces of foam after a short while so be careful and toss the brush when you start to see it expand and fall apart.  :D The nice thing about the mixture is that the alcohol is a solvent for the shellac so it makes for easy clean up when you are finished with a bristle  brush or to clean your fingers. I have an extra jar of alcohol just for clean up. Be sure and use a piece of tape on the lid of the jar to mark what mixture is in it.
Warning! Do not leave the mixture sit in an open container for very long. The alcohol will evaporate fairly fast, draw water into the mixture and, not to mention that it could be a fire hazard!

For my "Rude and Crude" finish, I Pour in 1" of BLO, 1" of mineral spirits and 2" of polyurethane. Mix well and use a brush to apply. I do use a foam brush with this mixture as there is no alcohol in it, and use a jar of mineral spirits for clean up. I have had very good luck with this mixture for popping the grain and a final finish all in one!
Warning! Wrap the threads of the jar with a lap or two of teflon tape as the mixture will seal the jar so tight that it can't be opened easily. I sometimes have to wrap a leather belt around the jar to hold it so that I can unscrew the lid.  :D

I like both of these finishes because they are simple, easy to apply, dry fast and usually come out "Lookingood!" for clear, natural wood looking finishes.

Rog

PS... Yes, I buy alcohol by the gallon!  ;) :D ;D
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »
PS to the PS.

I forgot to mention......After using either of the two concoctions that I described you can add more coats of either shellac or polyurethane at full strength for a glossier or longer wearing finish.
The recipes are what I call a sealing coat meant to pop the grain and or fill the pores of the wood as a first coat. Some people or projects require a smoother, shinier finish. I also usually sand between finish coats with a piece of brown paper bag to get rid of the "nibs" that pop up as the finish dries.  Nibs are caused by air bubbles or lint floating in the air or a speck of dirt in your brush. Not that THAT ever happens to ME!  :D :D :D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

no1texan

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:55:38 pm »
Thanks to all who posted a reply to this topic especially those of you who have gone through this before. Thanks Rog for allowing me to use your name even when I did not ask for permission-your earlier post was very helpful.
Phil

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:55 pm »
GEE ....Did I learn a thing or two reading this post.  Now I just have to give some of your
suggestions a try.  I used to be (because Steve taught me) 100% lemon oil.  Bet I spent
bunches on it.  Doesn't stay good in a dollar store plastic big container.  It Gels, so got rid
of that way.  Then it was 100% Danish Oils.  Various colors.  That was Good, but when dgman
came up with the 50/50 bit and I tried I was pretty much hooked.  RapidRogers thing about
adding Poly to the 50/50 mixture sounds like killing 2 birds with one stone thing.  Wonder
if it does give it a glow?  Anyway this my 2 cents...................................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:48:22 am »
I buy an empty paint quart can from Lowes for $2.50 a can. Comes with a lid. I had a little accident with a glass container once. My drying rack is a piece of 2" x 2" x 4', with nails about 2" apart. Then I use paper clips, with one end bent outwards a bit to hang the pieces on. I suspend the rack from a joist in the garage with 2 pieces of clothesline rope from 2 long nails. After I'm done drying, I lay the 2" x 2" across the nails 'til I need it again. No need to untie or store it someplace else. I have been using the 50/50 mix. Now, I am going to try adding the poly. Great idea! Thanks for the tip!

Paul

SMF

Teknoromi