Author Topic: Lemon oil  (Read 1781 times)

no1texan

Lemon oil
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:09:54 pm »
I have read several times Steve referring to using lemon oil. But I haven't been able to find how he applies or uses the lemon oil. I think he said 'he soaks or dips the project in lemon oil.' I could be wrong-maybe he brushes it on?

Would like to know the process of using lemon oil and know how it benefits the wood.
Thanks

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon oil
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:21 pm »
Go to the top right of this page & type 'lemon oil' in the search box.
It will bring up all the posts on this site that have 'lemon oil' in them.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »
I've never used lemon oil, but Steve told me he uses it as a quick finish for his videos and photos. I don't think lemon oil is a good finish for durability.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »
I have used Lemon oil a couple of times, it adds a little color.  Not much.  The only Lemon Oil I can find is Old English Lemon Oil furniture polish, may not be the same thing. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:20:28 pm by tvman44 »
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:59:18 pm »
I built a 42" tall cathedral clock out of 1/4" solid oak.  450 pieces. Bought lemon oil at a hardware store. Dipped each piece briefly and set it on a rack to dry.  Drying time is about a week.  WOOD GLUE WOULD NOT STICK TO THE PEICES!!  Super glue OK.  When the project was completed, I sprayed the whole thing with clear enamel.  Would not do that again.  Just spraying solid oak with clear enamel gives an almost identical finish.

Maybe this doesn't apply to what you are trying to do.  But if it does, I hope it helps.

jerry 1939
Iowa
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:01:19 pm by jerry1939 »

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:26:37 pm »
You can purchase Lemon Oil at Walmart and some of the other big box stores. Walmart has it in with the furniture polish. Around $5 a bottle.  I have used it but now trend to shy away as it seems to never really dry.  Anything it is used on MUST be coated with some type of clear spray or it will continue to seep out of the wood and onto what ever is is against. I like the color it adds to the wood and the grain really pops. but the cons outweigh the pros so I use it very seldom any more.  When I do, I use a glue brush to apply it so as not to soak the piece.  Hope this helps
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 11:35:02 pm »
Many of us have switched to a mixture of 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% paint thinner (or mineral spirits) instead.  It still brings out the grain, but will better accept a clear finish afterwards.  I think it was Dan Gallo who came up with the mixture.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:41:09 am »
Although you can use lemon oil, I don't recommend it.  It is a great cleaner of wood but not really a finish.  It doesn't dry well.

SMF

Teknoromi