Author Topic: Plaque Hanger.... ?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Plaque Hanger.... ?
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:31 pm »
Marcel gave me a way, but was wondering what everyone eles does. 
                  Plaques or whatever that are cut on 1/8 or even 1/4 stock.  Each will also have a
1/8 backer.  Not enough wood for a sawtooth hanger which I always use.  Any methods out there?
Danny  :+}

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Plaque Hanger.... ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:07:59 pm »
Danny   I use  the sawtooth hanger with hot glue.  A dab on each end where the  nails go.  Works good for me.  also use it on the D 0r  triangle hangers with no problem
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:13 pm »
I also use the hot glue method of attaching hangers to thin wood.

On some projects a hanging string/ribbon can be added to dress up the project as well as hang it.

other times I will put small screw eye hooks in the back and thread a string or wire through to hang a project from.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:18 am »
On light weight plaques I have placed a sawtooth hanger on the back, marked where the nail holes are and then applied a small 'puddle' of Alene's Tacky Glue at each spot, let sit far a minute and then just embed the hanger into the glue so it flows through the holes of the hanger and spread it around. Let dry overnight and I have not had one pull out yet.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tdub4ever

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:48:27 am »
When I cut something from 1/8" I'll use a 1/4" backer and I buy some small screws, like for a small hinge for a box and attach a sawtooth. Also, when I use a sawtooth I'll cut a corner piece from scrap 1/4" and put some self stick felt on it and glue it to the corners so the piece is straight on the wall.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:54:49 am by tdub4ever »

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:37:42 am »
An idea I used to do a lot was with indian portraits, I would take twine and drill two holes on the work piece to put the twine through and hang it by. Gives it somewhat of a country/ western look.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:12:08 am »
I've used the hot glue method too.  Trouble is after about two months the glue lets loose and they fall off the wall in the middle of the night and the dog freaks out waking us all up.  Try epoxy. (if you can stand the smell and the mess!)

Terry
[url]terrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
i'm with Dustin i use this way as well i think it gives a bit of on rustic look to it.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:06 pm »
Sure want to THANK All for your comments.  I had had bad luck using Hot Glue in the past, but maybe
there is the Better Glue stick. 

Like the idea of using the REAL SMALL SCREWS along with a Sawtooth hanger.  Only have the total
of 1/4" so would need a real small screw. 

But since my FAVORITE GLUE is the same as GB suggested I will experiment with this.

On light weight plaques I have placed a sawtooth hanger on the back, marked where the nail holes are and then applied a small 'puddle' of Alene's Tacky Glue at each spot, let sit far a minute and then just embed the hanger into the glue so it flows through the holes of the hanger and spread it around. Let dry overnight and I have not had one pull out yet.  GB

Thanks to all again................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Graywolf

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:26:23 pm »
I also use a dab of glue on the hangers. My neighbor makes glue where he works and can get it for me. They make glue for almost every company that sells it. So I can't give you a brand name, as they make it for everyone. I have use this glue on everything from wood to glass to concrete. It even holds in northern IL. winters.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »
I use white wood glue to attach a 1/4" thick piece of wood (or thicker)  And attach my home made hangers with 1/4" wood screws.  I make hangers of old dead band saw blades with the saw teeth cut off.  Bend it with a pliers and drill some holes.  Another way I have hung thin wall hung items is to glue, in place, a thick enough piece of wood and make a horizontal key hole slot in it.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

countryscroller

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »
I use white wood glue to attach a 1/4" thick piece of wood (or thicker)  And attach my home made hangers with 1/4" wood screws.  I make hangers of old dead band saw blades with the saw teeth cut off.  Bend it with a pliers and drill some holes.  Another way I have hung thin wall hung items is to glue, in place, a thick enough piece of wood and make a horizontal key hole slot in it.
That saw blade idea is genius. Would that be considered recycling? :)

Becky

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:27 pm »
Re-purposing at least.   :)

My own experience is that a 1/4" screw won't poke through the front because there is the thickness of the sawtooth hanger itself.  I have also made hole, started threading the screws and then taken wire cutters to the screw to cut a little bit off the end before screwing it in the whole way.  This is probably not the ideal solution but it worked at the time.

I am interested in understanding why the hot glue seems to work fine for some and not for others.  I don't have much experience with hot glue.  Is it a glue volume issue or coverage or what?  It sounds like some sort of technique issue unless it has to do with the environment - humidity or something.  Perhaps it is the brand.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 08:55:23 am »
That saw blade idea is genius. Would that be considered recycling? :)
  Recycling?  I guess it is.  I was looking for a use for old and dull/broken bandsaw blades and came up with this idea.  I sit down and use up the whole 105" blade and make 35 of them at a time.  I have also used 1/4" band saw blades in my scroll saw to cut soft stone with.  Made a dust mess  cutting it though.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:44:50 am »
Well, as I was mentioned in the start of this topic, I should participate right?
hahaha
well, here's my two cents on this subject:

I use a "glue hanger" I buy in the craft store.
the white material is fabric. it comes with a pr? adhesive but I usually add some extra glue.
use this on the 1/8" thick ply.

the other one is a staple from my air gun stapler.
But I don't use the air gun, instead I drill two 0.68" holes and hammer the staple in the wood and then I bend it so it has a hook.
I use this on wood that is at least 1/4" but 3/8" is better.

btw, they don't sell saw tooth hooks in our country.....

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:49:46 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi