Author Topic: A Class at Woodcraft  (Read 2425 times)

countryscroller

A Class at Woodcraft
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:33:10 am »
Well it was more like a hang out for scrollers, but yesterday I went to a free class for scrollers at my local Woodcraft. Just as I expected it, I was the youngest there by about 30 years :)  It was nice to talk in person with other scrollers and woodworkers. Sharing ideas and work. The main attraction meant for the class was two individuals, I forget their names, but they were scrolling compound cut chess pieces. Everyone was very friendly and it was quite fun. I handed out a card I had in my wallet, but didn't even think to bring more. I will be going back every month for the get together they have. Scrolling brings a great community of people. Oh and everyone knew Steve Good of course.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Re: A Class at Woodcraft
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »
Sounds great, wish we had a place to get together with other scrollers. The nearest Woodcraft store is about 60 miles from my house , sort of north of Houston.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
Yeah, they are not very populated across the U.S. Mine is about a 40 minute drive, but it is worth it because I stick around town for a while. Have dinner then go to Woodcraft for a few hours.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »
I have a woodcraft store its about 30 min away but way up in the north side of the city. I want to go to check it out.

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:21:03 pm »
You should go! It is a place where everyone there enjoys the same hobby as you do. Maybe not the same category of woodworking like scrolling, turning, carving, furniture making, ect. but it is nice to talk with others that understand what your talking about.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:28 pm »
[it is nice to talk with others that understand what your talking about.] Heck!! most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about :-\

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:48:27 am »
 ;
[it is nice to talk with others that understand what your talking about.] Heck!! most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about :-\
;D

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:33:57 am »
I believe that Dan Gallo, a former contributor and great asset to the forum, teaches at a Woodcraft in California.  I still hate it that Dan elected to leave us.  He is a great guy.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

puzzlemaker

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »
For those that don't have a Woodcraft store near them, try the Gwinnett Woodworkers on You Tube. Their shows are there regular weekly meetings, cover all sorts of wood working, including 1 1/2 Hr show on puzzle making. There is 125 of these shows. And remember, CountryScroller has a bunch of shows also on You Tube.

Pat

countryscroller

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 05:11:01 pm »
Yeah, I watched all of the scroll saw ones of the GWA. Steve usually posts them on the blog whenever they come up with them. The Country Scroller is good too :)

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:31 pm »
sounds so great! wish we had things like that over here.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

puzzlemaker

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »
Marcel don't you have the same YouTube as we do? (US)

Pat

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 04:54:14 pm »
For those that don't have a Woodcraft store near them, try the Gwinnett Woodworkers on You Tube. Their shows are there regular weekly meetings, cover all sorts of wood working, including 1 1/2 Hr show on puzzle making. There is 125 of these shows. And remember, CountryScroller has a bunch of shows also on You Tube.

Pat
Pat,
 Thanks for the tip on the link to Gwinnett, Just cam from their site and have book marked it.

countryscroller

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:08 pm »

Pat
Pat,
 Thanks for the tip on the link to Gwinnett, Just cam from their site and have book marked it.
I've followed Gwinnett ever since Steve posted their meetings that are related to scrolling on his blog. The get together they have is kind of like the Woodcraft where I went. I wish it was more than once a month though.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:48 am »
Marcel don't you have the same YouTube as we do? (US)

Pat

Yeah we do, and thanks for bringing up the  Gwinnett Woodworkers.
but being there and participating will be so much more fun I guess.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi