Author Topic: Victorian Star Clock  (Read 2590 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Victorian Star Clock
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:08 am »
Wow - that's a lot of fretting. I think I'd box it in plexiglass in case some kid knocked into it.

Excellent work as always.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Becky

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:04 pm »
Whoooie!  I bet that made you dizzy a few times!  That looks really nice.  May I ask the dimensions?  I have trouble doing fretwork on large pieces (probably too fat, lol).  If it is as large as it looks, did you sit or stand while cutting it?  And do you have any particular tips for cutting large fretwork pieces?

Really nice clock.  Congratulations.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 02:28:44 am »
Great piece of work and not something I would fancy tackling.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 07:11:31 am »
Well Keith you have another Master Piece to add to your collection.  That is some GREAT cutting and
you made it all come to life.  Bet you took lots of hours cutting this.  Love it....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:10 am »
Absolutely fantastic, beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 02:35:45 pm »
Whoooie!  I bet that made you dizzy a few times!  That looks really nice.  May I ask the dimensions?  I have trouble doing fretwork on large pieces (probably too fat, lol).  If it is as large as it looks, did you sit or stand while cutting it?  And do you have any particular tips for cutting large fretwork pieces?

Really nice clock.  Congratulations.

Becky, the clock is 12" diameter and stands 15" tall. I have to sit while cutting anything on the scrollsaw as my leg won't let me stand too long. This particular clock I worked from the centre out cutting a ring at a time then cut the outer shape. There was a lot of sanding involved as It was the first time I have used spirals for a complete project (spirals leave a lot of fuzzies) . Hope this helped.

Keefie.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 03:14:08 pm »
Spirals, eh? Well done.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Becky

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 12:23:12 am »
Thanks, Keefie.  The info is helpful.  I bet the spirals helped - at least until sanding time.  I suspect I would run into more and more trouble as I approached the edge using my flat blades.  I keep meaning to work with my spirals but I find that I want to make projects more than just do practice.  Intellectually, I realize that learning to use the spiral blades would benefit me in the long run but I have trouble with the self discipline to just make myself do it.  If I did, I could use flat blades in the center of a project like that and then switch to spirals as I neared the edge.  It would at least eliminate some of the fuzzy problem.

Thanks for the info and, again, that is a sweet looking clock!

SMF

Teknoromi