Author Topic: scroll saw that doesn't vibrate??  (Read 2342 times)

leesgirl2

scroll saw that doesn't vibrate??
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:59:07 am »
I'm looking for a scroll saw that doesn't vibrate...any suggestions??

Thanks, Lee

countryscroller

Re: scroll saw that doesn't vibrate??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:14:31 am »
Do you want a pattern of one? ;D  I have a Dewalt 788 and it seems to not vibrate for me. With a heavy cast iron table and it bolted to a stand, it cuts down on any potential vibration. For me coming off of a old Craftsman that vibrated like heck, the Dewalt is great. I'm sure the next comments will be for a Excalibur, which is a great saw too.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:19:14 am »
One that is not running.   ;D ;D

Anything mechanical and with moving parts is going to vibrate, to some degree or another.  The level of the vibrations can range from intolerable to extremely low.  Most of the higher quality machines will provide a level which is acceptable (unless something is wrong with the particular unit) and pleasant to cut with.

Like most things - ya get what ya pay for.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:24:53 am »
My
DW788 is mounted on a wooden stand I made out of 2 x 4's, 2 x 6's and 3/4" plywood. I think it weighs about 150#. It is firmly bolted to the stand with 2 layers of that waffle weave shelf liner under each foot.
No vibration to speak of until I turn it all the way to top speed and even then it is tolerable.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:48 am »
My Excaliber EX-21 ($850) is very quiet and I like the tilt blade rather than tilting the table. Most of these parallel link saws will be lower vibration because they are moving less mass. Here's a review from Popular Mechanics showing the two types of linkage (but only up to the DeWalt - no higher end saws). http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/1274521 Look at the noise levels to get a feel for the vibration they'll produce. You can usually reduce vibration by adding mass like a heavy bench.

If you're just starting out, look at the Porter-Cable ($180 at Lowes). It comes with a stand and a light and is a pretty good saw for the price. There are likely some on ebay as people move up to the more expensive units. It has a vacuum port but does NOT have a lifting top arm.

Delta and DeWalt (~$500, parallel link) I think are the same saw in different colors, but others might comment on that.

Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts had a review of all class of saws an issue or two back. Here is supposed to be a page on reducing vibration: http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/beginners-scroll-saw/42879.htm

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi