Author Topic: GrayBeard's first "Chick Magnet"!  (Read 2843 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
GrayBeard's first "Chick Magnet"!
« on: August 16, 2013, 04:12:38 pm »
I dearly loved this car...destroyed in a front end collision by a drunk old man!
I was 18 and cried like a baby....

My baby looked just like this!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:15:34 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: GrayBeard's first "Chick Magnet"!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:25:07 am »
What kind was it GB? It looks like a Holden which is a General Motors.  Was it your first car?

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
Sorry...got so excited to find a pic of the same car with the same paint & custom work I forgot to give the details...

1955 Plymouth Belvedere "Sport Fury" Hard Top, candy apple red & pure white, black & red interior, red dome lights
V-8 Interceptor engine, Dual Exhausts, Thrush 'glaspak' mufflers ( emitted a very sexy 'growl')
All "Plymouth' and V-8 insignias removed so you didn't know if you were 'dragging' with a a straight 6 or a standard V-8...the engine was in excess of 400 HP.

I made a lot of other guys shake their heads after eating my exhaoust away from the traffic lights or the 'drop of the scarf'!

Great fun car...still love those wide bench seats!!!!

~~~GB~~~

p.s. EIEIO (Ray) has done a pattern for me which I will be cutting in a week or so and will post the pic.
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:13:00 pm »
Fabulous, I love to look at the old cars. in a few a few days we are going to a car museum. It is a private collection of vintage Cadillac convertibles. Been there before and looking forward to going back. The guy has over 50 cars on display and all are road ready. He gets his cars from the southern states.

What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:59:52 am »
I too love old cars Clyde, they had a lot of personality that the new cars don't have.

Marg
MARG

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:22:16 pm »
 Around 1956 We lived in Bulawayo Rhodesia (Now Zimbabwe), we had a Ford Custom Saloon, the one you see in all the old Cop Movies with the big Chrome bullet in the front. My old Mum really loved that old car until we went on holiday in it to Cape Town (1,300M). Starting off on the second day we were at the beginning of the Kalahari Desert with a dead straight road for 75 miles to the next town, my old man put his foot down from the off but we only got 15 miles and it steamed to a halt. We later learned that the V Block was steel and the heads were alloy which meant they expanded at different rates and needed to be warmed up slowly. it turned out to be a bit of a miserable holiday as all the spending money went on fixing the car. But what a car. bench seat in the front, steering column change, all the knobs were trimmed with what looked like Ivory and at night the dash board lit up with that green glow like a Firefly. Bril.   
Frustration is the food of invention.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:28 pm »
That is a great car Mr. Beard. I know the pain of losing a loved car. My first car was a 57 Chevy convertible, 3 speed on the floor with 327 engine. Well whats a kid to do but a little drag now and then down city. Well dad found out and I was then driving a 4  cylinder Pontiac tempest convertible. Just not the same. But the guy who bought the Chevy totaled it within 2 weekd of getting it. I did go to pay respects and cried like any funeral.  Hard lessen learned.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:24:44 pm »
BUT I was in mine with my future bride when the S O B ran a red light and hit us head on!

~~~GB~~~

grampa sawdust

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:50 pm »
Now I understand. Sorry if I seemed insensitive I was not understanding and was not wanting to seem that way.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:39 pm »
Hey...was not being unkind...but we were pulling out of a driveway and the guy ran a red light about 100 feet away...slammed into us and we both were OK but really shaken up as a couple of 19 yr. olds.
He got 90 days in county slammer and had to pay full restitution but car was totaled.
Replaced it with a Chrysler 300 'TANK'!

~~~GB~~~

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:03 pm »
Such a beautiful car!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 02:43:10 am »
"Mr Beard"        I love it! LOLOLOL

Thankfully I didn't reveal my ignorance and ask what make it was, I was thinking a Desoto or a Mercury but the customization threw me off. Sure was PURDY though I hate to admit the very first car I bought was a junker 57 Plymouth Station wagon with the big tail fins, it was worn plumb out and Dad kept it for me till I got out of the Navy and I promptly traded it off and you know the rest of the story.
What a lead Sled!
Ugg.

"Mr Beard"  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 02:49:28 am »
My very own first car was a $500 Chrysler Valiant.  Used to have to sit in the driveway for about 10mins. warming it up to take the kids to school and we would get to the top of the estate and without fail every morning it would stall and it would take about 5 goes to start it again.  :-[ >:( The boot/trunk had that much rush I was always frightened the the spare would fall out of the bottom.  :D :D :D What a great car it was, because it was mine. :)

Marg
MARG

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:23 am »
My very own first car was a $500 Chrysler Valiant.  Used to have to sit in the driveway for about 10mins. warming it up to take the kids to school and we would get to the top of the estate and without fail every morning it would stall and it would take about 5 goes to start it again.  :-[ >:( The boot/trunk had that much rush I was always frightened the the spare would fall out of the bottom.  :D :D :D What a great car it was, because it was mine. :)

Marg

I and wife #1 had a Plymouth Valient pale blue if I remember right sold it to a guy for demolition derby I think for $50, and didn't pay much more for it, sure liked the little slant 6 motor took a licking and kept on ticking!
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31:29 am »
That Chrysler 225 cu in slant six was a trooper. Among the family we had 3 or 4 cars with that same engine in the late 1970s. It sounded like a sewing machine and we could swap parts to find a problem. Most of the work was trying to keep the fenders from falling off in the road.   
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi