Author Topic: MGA Coupe  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
MGA Coupe
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:29:57 am »
I had a fancy post all ready and then everything hung up and I lost it, so I'll give the abbreviated version instead. I used to have an MG after I got out of the Navy and it was my most memorable car! The most fun to drive and the girls thought it was cute too LOL
So I wanted a plaque to hang up here by my PC desk along with the rest of my "trophies".
And I decided to contact Ray aka EIEIO and he came through almost immediately. So I'm going to try and up his pattern and a photo of what my car looked like including paint color, we'll see if it will load this time.
As you can see Ray used another car to make the pattern from but that doesn't matter at all they were basically identical. I hope to have it cut in short order.
Man it was a fun car!
Great Job Ray and Thanks again,
Gabby
PS I always thought they looked like a Mini Jag!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:37:52 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
Re: MGA Coupe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:32 am »
Very nice pattern, looks great, thanks for sharing.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:54:28 am »
Can't wait to see it. My MGBGT was Charcoal Gray and also a chick magnet.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:26:01 am »
My 'chick magnet' was a 55 Plymouth Sport Fury with all the insignias removed, had a Dodge Interceptor engine (normally reserved for police cars) and COOOOOOL sounding Thrush Glaspack dual exhausts!
I used eat those 32 Ford hot rods for lunch away from the stop lights!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:42:51 am »
Bill - the wire wheels might be tricky. If you break a part of one, you might consider cutting it out like a floater, making the spokes as a separate cutting, then gluing it to the backer. Do you use plain blades or spirals? 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:27:42 pm »
very nice pattern!!! very nice car!!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »
Bill - the wire wheels might be tricky. If you break a part of one, you might consider cutting it out like a floater, making the spokes as a separate cutting, then gluing it to the backer. Do you use plain blades or spirals? 
I may not cut them all out Ray just the indication of wire spokes will probably be enough. I am going to have to get some smaller drill bits though as I printed this out for 8 1/2 by 11 although I'll be cutting it as an oval once I get all the hard part done.
I've never been able to get the hang of spirals so I use FD #1 SR almost exclusively, someone sent me a bunch of them and I really like the way they work, I'm even using them for the 3/4" pine.
I've started on the MG but the majority of it will require the use of smaller drills which will make it easier to do the spokes as well. I've got the roof line and some of the other heavy lines that I could drill using the bits I have, I'm heading to the hardware store tomorrow I hope they have some. With one hardware store and one building supply there is no guarantee I'll find any. In that case I'll probably have to order some from Mike. Probably cheaper and faster service from him too!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »
I use a Dremel 1/32" drill bit in a Proxxon rotary tool for most of my fretwork pilot holes (FD #1 UR is 0.029" wide so it will fit into the 0.03125" pilot hole, but tight). They work fine for the thin BB Ply, but they are a little short for 3/4" lumber. I have a few bits and a chuck from Mike but have not tried them yet.

I plan to try adding pilot holes to thin lines in my patterns in GIMP before passing it to Inkscape. I'm hoping the bump of the pilot hole will turn into a smooth transition in the Trace and make it easier to start a thin line.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:17 am »
I use a Dremel 1/32" drill bit in a Proxxon rotary tool for most of my fretwork pilot holes (FD #1 UR is 0.029" wide so it will fit into the 0.03125" pilot hole, but tight). They work fine for the thin BB Ply, but they are a little short for 3/4" lumber. I have a few bits and a chuck from Mike but have not tried them yet.

I plan to try adding pilot holes to thin lines in my patterns in GIMP before passing it to Inkscape. I'm hoping the bump of the pilot hole will turn into a smooth transition in the Trace and make it easier to start a thin line.

I ordered a half dozen #68 bits from Mike today, so that job will have to wait till the new drills get here, I tried a sample spiral on a fat 1/8" thick piece of manzanita to make a key fob with the sewing machine cut from it, (BANG I cussed the darn thing and went back to my #1 FD blade) the tricky part is the center piece is only held in place right at the needle and is EXTREMELY fragile. I hide a pilot hole that is too large by widening that part of the line just enough that it blends in. The problem with the MG is there are so many places where I can't do that. The grill for instance.
I'm almost out of booze and about ready to call it a night. So I'm done here.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi