Author Topic: Gabby's MGA  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Gabby's MGA
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:24:44 am »
Right after getting out of the Navy I bought a 57 or 58 MGA Coupe` it was what is known as Ash Green as seen in the photo, not the greatest chick magnet color but they still seemed to dig it. Sure was tough to make out in though with the transmission hump in the middle, but the fenders were just the right height if you get my meaning  ;)
Anyway it was the most memorable car I ever owned and the most fun, driving it was a blast and it got almost 30 mpg to boot. So to get to the reason for this windy post, I contacted Ray aka EIEIO
and furnished him with a couple of good photos and here is the resulting pattern. No I haven't cut it yet I just got it yesterday and I converted it to red and white.
So hopefully by this weekend I will have something to brag about and hang on the wall in my Man Corner. LOLOL
Thanks a bunch Ray all the credit goes to you,
Gabby
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:19:37 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

countryscroller

Re: Gabby's MGA
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:17 am »
Nice pattern

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:31:02 am »
Cool car...remember them well.  Great pattern Ray!

Have fun cutting those wheel spokes!!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:49:51 am »
I bet that if those fenders could talk, they would have some stories to tell. Thanks Gabby. ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:15:46 am »
My brother had an old used one.  Every time he made a hard right turn, the driver's door flew open.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »
Nice car and nice pattern!
when ready sure a great piece to hang in the man cave ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »
   Had to be <BRITISH>  Iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:42:15 pm »
Hey Iggy nothing built in the USA came anywhere close to Brit sports cars especially the smaller ones like MG and Triumph and those little 4's and 6's had a really cool sound for such a small engines. Shifting through the gears and then downshifting was real music to my ears, the big muscle cars would have been hardpressed to keep up with me on a winding mountain road it held like glue to the curves and would power slide thru a curve with ease. Man that car was a BLAST. My oldest Brother who I just lost last October and I both worked at Rocketdyne (now North American Rockwell) and would drive in from Simi Valley to Canoga Park, CA where the plant was located, and instead of taking the freeway we'd take Black Canyon a little narrow 2 lane road that followed a track laid down by a rattlesnake, and blow and go, going and coming from the job, we nearly wore that little puppy out and had a ball doing it. I miss the car and the Brother very much! So this car is a remembrance of those days with my brother and of him. I always looked up to him especially since he was 12 1/2 years older and when he was slim and trim looked a lot like Tom Sellek.
Ok I've slipped off down memory lane long enough it's time to get back to giving people a hard time.
I was going to give it to you but in light of the pain you've been working with I'll wait until you are back on both feet and read to kick some Bu77. So the rest of you are on notice!  Muhahahahaha
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:21:18 am »
  It is hard coming to terms with loosing someone you love and mesh with well, like taking a gear out of that old manual gearbox and loosing 3rd or 4th gear. In 1966 I bought a 1964 Mini Cooper it was in mint condition and only had 19,000 on the clock it cost me the vast sum of ?450, in those days they only had drum brakes all round which were U/S in the wet (which it is most of the time here). When I sold it 3 years later there was a hole on every corner but I still remember it fondly. In those days, Fran & I were at it like rampant rabbits and like you say very difficult in a small car with no reclining seats and spikey floor mats. I noted in the national press that one sold at Auction recently for ?31,000. I wish I had kept mine. Iggy.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 02:41:48 am »
When I was living and working in England I had a friend and yes he was only a friend, that had an MG and during the summer in our lunch hour we used to drive all over the place with the top down. AHHHHHHH lovely memories.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:12 am »
When I was living and working in England I had a friend and yes he was only a friend, that had an MG and during the summer in our lunch hour we used to drive all over the place with the top down. AHHHHHHH lovely memories.

Marg

Snicker I had a few girlfriends  yes just friends that loved to drive around with their tops down. OH yes lovely
m e mories LOL I was going to change the e to an A but figured Russ would bust me for sure.
Naughty Gabby
I never went out with girls that weren't friends, it's hard to get a kiss from those who weren't, and hard enough from some of the others. LOL

Hey are we having fun yet?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 03:01:40 am »
No he was a friend, he was going out with my best friend and I was going out with Terry, but they didn't work anywhere near us.  And yes we are have fun, always.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:34:17 am »
   Sex, Sex, Sex, Gabby that's all you think of, never mind its not long to Lourie's B/Day then you may get lucky, if not you will have to wait till Christmas or Next June lol.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:45:33 am »
I bet that if those fenders could talk, they would have some stories to tell. Thanks Gabby. ;D

I'll never tell this is a family forum after all.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 05:54:08 am »
   Sex, Sex, Sex, Gabby that's all you think of, never mind its not long to Lourie's B/Day then you may get lucky, if not you will have to wait till Christmas or Next June lol.

IGGY Thinking about it is all there is anymore, but I do have some fond memories!
Laurie's B-day and mine are only 6 days apart and were in June so that's out for sure. LOL
OH and by the way I had a MGB shortly after we got married and it could tells some tales too. LOL
It was a wore out POS so I put a new top on it and run an add, and the first chick that came along bought it, it was the only car I made money on.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi