Author Topic: Either I'm Stupid, or Smart?  (Read 2292 times)

countryscroller

Either I'm Stupid, or Smart?
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:02:21 pm »
I got my Craftsman jointer from sears. I bought the floor model because that was all they had and they didn't have any around in other stores. When I brought it back and set it to the settings (people mess with it when it is on the floor), I tested it out with a piece of wood. It didn't go like it should've. After looking at it today, I noticed 2 of the 3 knives were in upside down. Now I thought that maybe they did that so people looking at it wouldn't cut themselves, but what about the one knife fully exposed? Or did someone that didn't know what they were doing put two in the wrong way? Well I fixed it anyway and now when I joint a board, it leaves a nice smooth surface.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Either I'm Stupid, or Smart?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »
Good catch, most those people that put those displays together are just that people, if you can turn a wrench you can assemble a display item. Chances are they didn't know what they are doing or like you said for safety were on wrong to keep from being cut, but stuff like that shouldn't have had the blades in it anyway, why you see miter, table saws with no blades on display.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:26:48 pm »
And here I thought you were going to start a poll Dustin....... ;D
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »
haha funny Al. well if that's the case then  we have one vote for each then?

mlwmerk

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:49 am »
Having completed a five year tour of duty in the Tools section of the local Sears store, I was one of those that assembled the floor demonstrators. 

The prudent thing to do is to install the sharp blades in upside down or backwards so that curious fingers don't get cut.  But the blades remained with the machine when it came time to sell the floor model.

As an aside, I was cleaning the table of a jointer demo where the blades were put in the correct way and sliced the living heck out of two of my finger tips. Required four stiches.  One was the middle finger so with the bandage I was continuiously giving some one "the bird".

Anyway, I always tried to install all the accessories, blades, etc. on to the demo because if they were left lying beside the demo, the parts would disappear within the week.  There are several reasons this happens which I won't go into now. Also there was no place to store the extra pieces so that they would be available when it came time to sell the demo. 

I always installed the blades backwards on the scroll saws, band saws, circular saws etc. on the advice of our store Loss Control Nazi. 

Quite often when it came time to sell the floor model, it was missing parts so we had to sell it at a deep discount and "as is" which was OK since the model was discontinued.

Since it was a recent model the parts were always available from Sears Parts.  The customer could buy the parts that were missing since the got the machine at a steep discount.

Actually the whole scene was a PITA.

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:49:45 am »
I understand all that and that it is for safety reasons, but with one of the knives in correct way, I was curious as to why? Also me not ever owning a jointer didn't know how the blades were supposed to look in the machine, so that is bad on my part for not doing my homework.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:18:27 am »
answer to the poll:

yes you are Dustin  ::)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:26:41 am »
OH you are so sharp Marcel, be careful you might cut yourself!
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 04:00:06 am »
G

Thanks Gabby, think your are sharp quit some times yourself.
(a wood worker should know sharp tools work best 8) )
So could you, Sensei Gabby, learn me grasshopper some old safety tricks on handling it? ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:32:22 am »
G

Thanks Gabby, think your are sharp quit some times yourself.
(a wood worker should know sharp tools work best 8) )
So could you, Sensei Gabby, learn me grasshopper some old safety tricks on handling it? ;)

Wax on Wax off Grasshopper, and look at the quotation under my signature not the one about police.
The last one! ;D ;D ;D
G
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:34:23 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:06:26 pm »
   Before filling my Garage/ Workshop with LETHAL tools, I attended a course for 1 year in my spare time to learn how to use them, sharpen them, and maintain them properly. and guess what, after 20 years, I still have all my fingers and still respect the ability of these machines to remove them or worse. I would urge anyone starting out with these things to be very aware of their ability and get some training, besides Blood plays havoc with your projects especially if you have nearly finished.     
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:18 pm »
(Spoiler alert) Have you seen the movie "The Red Violin"?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi