Author Topic: I recieved my band saw blade!  (Read 1805 times)

countryscroller

I recieved my band saw blade!
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »
I want to say thanks to all who gave me information on to where to buy a blade. I went with Timberwolf. I am very pleased with it. I can now resaw wood and make the boards last longer that I have, rather than planing an 1" board to 1/4". Here are some pictures of it when I got it. I like the blade because of it's hardened teeth make it last longer. I resawed a 2x4 just to see how it cut, and wow it cut like butter, obviously because it is soft, but still. Also I managed to get my stock blade that came on the saw into a coil.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: I recieved my band saw blade!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »
Looks great. Now you need to make a resaw fence so you can keep the board vertical while cutting it. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:58 pm »
That's the next step. I have seen some attachment fences like Kreg makes one, but they are expensive. I am going to just make one out of wood.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:19 pm »
You said you managed to coil your blade - Wood Magazine has a note on how to do it    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/skills/folding-bandsaw-blades-simple-as-one-two-three/

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:20:53 pm »
How many band-aids did you need after folding the old blade?  ;D
I used to have to do that where I worked years ago. Almost every time I would get a nick or two but, still I was the best guy in the shop to do it. I've seen some guys get some really nasty cuts when they didn't grip the blade tight enough and it would spring open at the wrong time. I didn't step on the blade (but, that is probably the safest way to do it) I just held it in both hands with my fingers and give it a twist  and it would pop together in an instant.  ;)
Buy the way, I don't have a bandsaw (sure wish I did) but, I've read that the Timberwolf brand is  used by a lot of people and comes highly recommended. Congrats on your purchase and good luck and have fun with your saw.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:05 pm »
Yeah, I saw how to do that. I couldn't get it doing it that way for some reason. I did the same sort of way, but with both of my hands, not my foot holding it on the ground.  I haven't cut myself and don't plan too, but I only see cutting myself when I get the blade out of the coil. I try to do it to where it doesn't fling open, but the last bend it does.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06:18 pm »
Lucky wish I had a band saw to resaw wood, had a ad on craigs a guy had a bunch I mean of rough cut wood3 side had been milled was 7/8 to 6 inch thick, had been dried since 08. Here is the ad he has posted.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/art/3992517016.html

countryscroller

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:21:25 pm »
Lucky wish I had a band saw to resaw wood, had a ad on craigs a guy had a bunch I mean of rough cut wood3 side had been milled was 7/8 to 6 inch thick, had been dried since 08. Here is the ad he has posted.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/art/3992517016.html
Great find! Only problem for me is it is in Oklahoma. Might be hard to ship a lot of wood to Ohio. I hope you can get a band saw soon.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »
yea I saw that and cried my heart out, thinking, how can I cut that to thickness, tale saw get some small bits for little stuff, then thought I got to have a band saw for stuff like this, even if somebody cuts down a tree can saw my own blanks.

countryscroller

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:34 pm »
I wish I lived on property with a few more trees than I have now. My mom would come home from work with a tree down in the yard lol. Then I could take the tree to the saw mill. Or if I was rich I could buy a portable saw mill and do it myself. Even if you take a short log, you could easily mill it into rough lumber on the band saw if it is powerful enough. Just throw you in a big ole blade and start cutting.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »
A saw mill like this? There are gas ones that use chainsaws mounted into a frame then slide it down for rough cut then go back to the shop to resaw into useable blanks.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/PortableEquipment/ManualSawmills/LT10Sawmill.aspx

countryscroller

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:00:58 am »
Yeah like that. $3,500 isn't that much considering what help it would be. Still quite a bit though. Some tools price well over that even.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:19:57 am »
If you do alot of woodwork and sale it wouldn't take much to get the money made back, even more so since your cutting your own lumber.

SMF

Teknoromi