Author Topic: Could be a brag LOL  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Could be a brag LOL
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »
Just have to spred it around I suffered hi temps (90's) and smoke but I started making sawdust yesterday and today. Guess what I haven't lost it all, but I'm breaking a few blades. Got to quit pushing against the side of the blade causing it to overheat and BAM!

The BOSS SUGGESTED (you guys know of whom I speak) I make some of those sewing machine plaques like I made for her, to sell to the quilting ladies, so I've got 4 preped and am cutting the first one now. I wish I could find some 1/2" or 3/8" by 12" pine or other cheap wood to cut these things out of I'm making them to fit a regular sheet of printer paper 8 1/2 by 11". Plywood isn't going to cut it due to the layers showing on the edges which makes them look cheap. The ladies that can afford them want the real thing.
As you may recall I cut hers from local oak 3/4" thick and that took plenty of time you can't hurry that stuf.
The 3/4 pine I'm cutting now won't let me go too fast either but it is faster than oak!
I think if I could get 3/8" wood I could stack at least 2 at a time and that would be a real help.
Well enough of this brag / heads up. Those of you who know me can expect a little more harrasment from O'l Gabby
Especiall one "Kilted Redneck" who shall remain nameless But his initials are RR
Snicker
I'm Baaaack you can run but you can't hide!  ;D ;D ;D
Gabby
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:22:47 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Could be a brag LOL
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 01:35:01 am »
Love the sound of you being back Gabby, not the same around here without you.  And please be careful with the smoke still around and the heat.   :-*

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:49:00 am »
good to see you're "back in the saddle" Gabby!

help me out here, what are 'sewing machine placks' ? do you have any picture?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:26 am »
good to see you're "back in the saddle" Gabby!

help me out here, what are 'sewing machine plaques' ? do you have any picture?

Sorry I had miss-spelled it.
It is a plaque of a sewing machine sihlouette with the words cut below that say
"Friends are like fabric you can never have enough" I posted mine here in the gallery a while back Pre Hospital visit, but it's still there take a peak. See below.
The ladies were really appreciative of the multiple fabric samples I used to back it with.

http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=108
So I'm hoping to make wood & blade money  cutting them.

Marcel "Back in the saddle" has more than one conotation, and sadly I can not handle either one.  :( :( :( :(
Gabby

MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:06:16 am »
Gabby - if you're still looking for some low cost, thin lumber to cut, take a look at this:
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=14465.0

They are small cedar planks - about 3"x7.5" and 3/16 thick - but you might be able to reduce your image to use them; cut the machine but maybe burn the lettering. They sell 100 for $3.75 here in Ohio.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:40:30 pm »
Hey Gabby, do you have a router?  If you do there is a way to use it as a planer to reduce the thickness of a board.  It might just work for what you need.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:01:37 pm »
Hey Gabby - - I reworked Grandpa's pattern to fit a 8X10 frame.  I use the oak ply from Lowes or Home Depot.   It is fairly inexpensive and looks good (IMHO).  I am in the middle of cutting it now.  Yes occasionally you get a void and every now and then, it makes designer firewood but overall I am happy with it.  I get the frames from yard/garage sales and  junk shops mostly. Have found some nice looking ones at the dollar store and Big Lots. Many are useable as they are and some take a few swipes with sandpaper.  I usually put the piece in the frame and give both a final coat of clear lacquer.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:29:51 pm »
I have heard pine is hard to cut being a soft wood the blade tends to follow the grain, in lowes there is a isle of shelving wood, in different kinds, might have to go with a hardwood, the 2x2 sheets of oak at my lowes run about 8 bucks a sheet, might be a better option for the real look, or find a wood filler thats close to the same color as ply, and put it on the edge to cover it then sand it smooth, there are different color fillers and are stainable.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:39 am »
Thanks guys you have given me some options. The nearest Lowes is over 50 miles away in Medford I only get over there in emergencies October is the next one, I'm going to meet my new Neurologist. There is a Home Depot in Grants Pass and I get there once in a while.
I've got a plunge router but don't know much about using it. I do know it can be locked at whatever depth I want. That may be my best option and Red Cedar may be better to cut than pine, but other than breaking a bunch of blades ( I think from heavy handedness ) it cuts ok. The main problem with it is the knots. I don't mind cutting hardwood the first plaque was 3/4" Oak I'm trying to speed up my production by cutting more than one at a time and 3/8" or 1/2" is plenty thick. Doug Fir is worse than Pine for sure.

A local update,
We finally had a good rain here in my part of the valley which hopefully may put out whatever lightening strike fires the storm started before it decided to rain. The air is positively YUMMY for the first time in weeks! Maybe I can get rid of some of the crap in my lungs it's getting pretty thick. Didn't get to make dust, OH boo hoo.  :'( :'(  It's to a good cause.  ;D ;D ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:35 am »
I have looked all over Steve's pattern site and can't find this sewing machine pattern.  Can anyone post a link to it?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:41 pm »
I know he has it I have seen it before. I have looked where I thought it should be and don't see any sign of it.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:33:56 am »
I'll see if I can upload it here.
The red is easier to see and I changed the font for ease of cutting.
I like to cut it on 8.5 by 11 so that the detail isn't too small, most of the quilters are needing glasses as it is. Just like us old scrollers. LOL If you cut it too small you lose the detail especially of the text.
Gabby
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:38:38 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:18 pm »
Thanks Gabby!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 03:52:00 am »
Any time.
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 04:19:48 am »
Thanks Gabby for the pattern. I like "sewing" patterns as I have a lot of friends that like these.

I have done a few of Sue Mey's quilt patterns.  I use 1/8" BB. Cut 3 at a time and so it takes a while but you get a lot out of the work.  Probably could stack more but 3 works for me.

I do the last pattern here. 

http://scrollsawartist.com/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=quilt&dispatch=&dispatch=products.search

SMF

Teknoromi