Author Topic: I have some great deals on rough sawn hardwood!  (Read 1920 times)

countryscroller

I have some great deals on rough sawn hardwood!
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:15:19 pm »
Well it has finally happened for me. I was able to get some new machines, or should I saw my first machines. I got a jointer, planer, and a band saw. I have used more hardwoods lately and have been happier with the results than using plywood like when I started. So with getting some new machines, I needed to get some hardwood for the machines. I put one question out on Facebook to my friends and got  a hit right away. There is a sawmill only 15 minutes away from me. They have every kind of domestic hardwood there just about. I should be buying some here soon and starting to mill my own thicknesses of boards. In the long run this will be cheaper for me. Buying online like I have costs quite a bit. Not only the wood, but also for them to surface it and have it thickness for your scroll saw already, also shipping costs. With the sawmill near me, I am getting wood for about $1 a bd. ft. for like maple and oak and not much more for other species. Just thought I'd share the success I am having. Also with these capabilities I can make more than just scrolling work. Say I make a coffee table or something. I can take a plunge router( soon I will get hopefully) and route an area on the surface to inlay work I made on the scroll saw. So I am really happy with my advancement in what I will be able to do with my work.

countryscroller

Re: I have some great deals on rough sawn hardwood!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:17:49 pm »
I will also try to make an on location video of the sawmill to show you guys what it all looks like in case some of you don't get rough cut wood.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:27:58 am »
Great find on the local mill. There is a local mill we buy from. It's a small family run shop with great deals on lumber. I really like working with Mesquite. Here is there web site http://mgsawmill.com/index.html

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:46:32 am »
That's some nice looking wood there. The mill I am going to is a family run as well. Here is a link to it-> http://www.clarksvillesawmilllumber.com/index.html

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:06 am »
There is advantage to living in a small town,like dealing with home town folks.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:49:18 am »
It is great that you have access to such wonderful resources. It must feel some good to walk around and just suck up the sights, sounds and smells and to be able to select what you want. Enjoy the moment. ;)
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:00:29 am »
Dustin - great find. Make sure they dry the wood well enough. Green rough cut can be inexpensive but also can warp and crack on you.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

countryscroller

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:43:05 am »
Dustin - great find. Make sure they dry the wood well enough. Green rough cut can be inexpensive but also can warp and crack on you.
They sit it outside under their drying area. It isn't kiln dried or anything. I am going to bring a moisture tester with me when I select the boards. If some are a little to high, I may get a couple of those and let them dry out at my house.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:38:24 pm »
It takes roughly 1 year per inch of thickness for a board to air dry to a stable, usable product.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

countryscroller

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:50 am »
Thanks Bill, yeah that is what the sawyer said when I was looking at the wood.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:39 am »
Hey Dustin, Congrats on the new toys! They will make your woodworking life much more fun!

countryscroller

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:20 am »
Thank you TripleB!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »
There is a real sense of satisfaction derived from taking a piece of rough cut lumber, jointing a face and an edge, resawing it to the desired thickness, planning it to thickness, and then building a project from that milled wood.  I always start out with rough cut.  Save your cutoffs & scraps for your grill or smoker.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

countryscroller

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 03:32:32 pm »
There is a real sense of satisfaction derived from taking a piece of rough cut lumber, jointing a face and an edge, resawing it to the desired thickness, planning it to thickness, and then building a project from that milled wood.  I always start out with rough cut.  Save your cutoffs & scraps for your grill or smoker.
Yep, I understand. Also in the long run it is way more cost effective.

SMF

Teknoromi