Author Topic: Where can you buy a wood vice?  (Read 1541 times)

countryscroller

Where can you buy a wood vice?
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:06 pm »
I have always wanted to get a wood vice for my workbench when I hold wood work in it. The standard vice for metal stuff is what I have handed down from my dad. I had thought about making some wood calls that go around the clamping area of the vice, but that might not work. Can you buy a simple vice to install under your pre- existing workbench? If so, could I have a link. Thanks.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Where can you buy a wood vice?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:18:09 am »
I have one I would give you if you were near St Petersburg, Fl, but I don't think it would be worth the cost to ship it.  I removed the workbenches from my shop.  My tools take up all the room and I tended to just pile stuff on the benches anyway.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:43:54 am »
Home Depot used to carry one.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:55:32 am »
any good hardware should carry them.busy bee tools as them but there expensive,

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:30:43 am »
Ok thanks.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:52:31 am »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:05:53 pm »
Dustin - you could build your own. They are pretty simple devices. I think a big factor for a wood vise is the pop-up dog. The vise sits at the end of the bench and clamps like normal, but can also clamp long pieces by adding dogs downstream (on the bench) from the vise itself.

Amazon had a bunch listed if you'd rather buy one, or Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/pd_209446-52800-BV-WV65_0__?productId=3053479&Ntt=vise&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dvise&facetInfo=
and
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=247606-26115-7-WW+DI&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3676718&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:09:06 pm »
If you would just like to make some wooden jaws to fit your mechanics vice (I've done that for mine) cut two pieces of wood about 1-1/2" to 2" wide, a bit longer than the vice jaw is wide and 1/2" thick. You then can drill some shallow holes on one side with a forstner bit to match some rare earth magnets (I put 3 on each jaw because the jaw is 6" wide.) and glue the magnets into the holes with super glue. Make sure the magnets are flush to the wood and glue another strip 1/4" thick and 3/4 wide x  the same length as the first piece to the top edge of the wooden jaw face. Basicly make an upside down "L" shape for a location surface.
Now the "ledge" will keep the jaw even with the top of the vice and the magnets will hold them in place to use to protect your wood yet easily removable when you need the vice for other uses.

Easy peasy! And cheap too!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

countryscroller

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:33 pm »
If you would just like to make some wooden jaws to fit your mechanics vice (I've done that for mine) cut two pieces of wood about 1-1/2" to 2" wide, a bit longer than the vice jaw is wide and 1/2" thick. You then can drill some shallow holes on one side with a forstner bit to match some rare earth magnets (I put 3 on each jaw because the jaw is 6" wide.) and glue the magnets into the holes with super glue. Make sure the magnets are flush to the wood and glue another strip 1/4" thick and 3/4 wide x  the same length as the first piece to the top edge of the wooden jaw face. Basicly make an upside down "L" shape for a location surface.
Now the "ledge" will keep the jaw even with the top of the vice and the magnets will hold them in place to use to protect your wood yet easily removable when you need the vice for other uses.

Easy peasy! And cheap too!

Rog
Thanks for the idea. It sounds like the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

SMF

Teknoromi