Author Topic: Where to find shorter length hardwoods  (Read 1175 times)

no1texan

Where to find shorter length hardwoods
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:13:33 am »
All the woodworking I do is 'smaller' projects much like the patterns from Steve. But for these smaller projects I always begin with lengths 8' and up and most of the time 3/4 and 4/4.

Are there any sources to purchase lengths maybe 1 to 2 ft with variety of
thicknesses? The cost will probably be higher.

My band saw is not large enough to re-saw and my table saw is 10 miles away at my son's house.

A good source for hardwood shorts would be nice.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Where to find shorter length hardwoods
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:28:48 am »
Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot all sell hardwoods in various dimensions. Home Depot will sell some (oak and poplar I think) by the foot at about $5/bdft. Our local lumber yards do the same for hardwoods, although some won't let us leave a length of <8 ft on their shelves (you can cut up to 5 ft off of a 13 foot long board).

I recently went to a local cabinet shop in town. They use mostly birch, oak, walnut, maple, cherry and poplar lumber and always are leaving short board ends. I bought a mixed pickup bed full (about 500 bdft) for $100. Mostly 3/4 or 4/4. Setting up a relationship with them was a good thing. They have commercial planers and sanders and will do small jobs for a fee if you let them fit it in between their cabinet jobs.

Harder to find Baltic Birch plywood locally, but there is a specialty woodworker's shop about an hour away that sells it. It's worth the drive to have some 1/8" and 1/4" in the shop. (Note that all BB Ply is sold in 5'x5' sheets, so be wary if someone tries to sell you a 2'x4', 4'x4' or 4'x8'. Probably not BB.)
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

alien11

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:02:01 am »
I've had good luck going to a hardwood lumber yard and asking about their "shorts". It's a mixed bag, and different every time in term of species and dimensions. Generally they categorize anything less than 4 ft. long as a short. I've also been allowed to pick through the pile to make my selection. Best part is the price is 20% less than longer bds.

If you're flexible about what you need you'll leave there with something usable. But watch out for that piece of wood that's just too pretty to leave behind!

Becky

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44:10 pm »
Ocooch Hardwoods sells 2-foot lengths in a variety of thicknesses and across a variety of wood species.  I have found their service to be fast and their quality good.  I got one pretty badly twisted piece one time.  I called and they sent me a new one, telling me that if I could get any serviceable wood from the twisted one I should use it with their blessing.  I offered to take pics of the funky piece but they were content to take my word for it.  http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

It is a little more expensive (you pay for shipping if nothing else) but going to the lumberyard or Woodcraft or something is so iffy, especially if I need wider boards.

ToverT

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:15 pm »
I too use Ocooch woods.  Good service, great wood!

Tommy T

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:41 am »
 I get most of my Oak, popular, at Lowes which comes in 2' and 4' lengths, and 1/4" and 1/2" thichness, and very good quality, much better then H D.  edward

SMF

Teknoromi