Author Topic: New DeWalt 788 came yesterday! :)  (Read 2370 times)

rteubner

New DeWalt 788 came yesterday! :)
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:47:34 am »
My new saw finally showed up yesterday. I couldn't wait to get it unboxed and see what a new machined looked like. haha My old craftsman was used when I got it so this is my first real new saw. I was a little bit nervous getting it because of some problems I have read about the new 788s but so far mine seems to be good as far as the blade opening is centered on table cut out and mounting holes lined up perfectly to mount table to saw. For all of you fellow 788 owners is there anything else I should do to it to get it set up. I did sand and wax the table already. Of course I had to try it out right away too and I can see there is going to take a little getting used to how a different saw cuts but other than that I am happy with what I got.  ;D Any other advise is appreciated.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: New DeWalt 788 came yesterday! :)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:26:18 am »
You might look for an arm latch to hold it up while you change holes. Here's one to look at:
http://www.bigfootproducts.ca/Lift-N-Lock.html
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

rteubner

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »
Thanks! I am going to have to find something like that for sure

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:19:42 pm »
I have the Easy Lift http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html on my Delta 40-690.  It makes blade changes and changing holes much easier.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
Once you get rid of the hold down, blade guards etc. just add a dead mans switch and an easy lift and you will be GOOD TO GO!! ;D :D ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Becky

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »
I can add my support for the Easy-Lift system.  It installs easily and I don't even have to think about flipping down a stand or anything.  I don't know if the cost has gone up since I bought it but mine was about $25-$30.  Money very well spent.  I have no regrets on that one.

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:59 am »
I just use a piece of scrap wood to hold the arm up.  Works good enough and saves money.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 02:12:30 am »
Congratulations RT on the new saw, I know you are going to love it.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:51 am »
how do you like your new scroll saw
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

rteubner

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:16:17 pm »
I really like the new saw. It required a little getting used to it (now I know what a good saw is supposed to be like haha) I did have to make adjustments on the forward/backward blade movement because I had no control at corners but now it is great

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:21:04 pm »
I really like the new saw. It required a little getting used to it (now I know what a good saw is supposed to be like haha) I did have to make adjustments on the forward/backward blade movement because I had no control at corners but now it is great

What adjustments did you make to get the back and forward motions under control.

I also have a ex-21 scroll saw and the dewalt DW788 scrollsaw.

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

rteubner

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:44:59 pm »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have been on vacation and now trying to get all caught up again on all the new posts. I printed off the tips from here and also on Ricks site and I took out the bottom blade holder and filed out the screw holes that hold the bottom holder in place so I could move it out about an 1/8". It made a world of difference so I can make tighter corners now

old wormy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:10:24 pm »
After you get the deadman foot switch don't forget to seal the on/off switch in the on position with clear packaging tape and just use the foot switch. This will save you from having switch problems with sawdust.

Scroller Joe

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »
As far as a lift for the saw arm goes, check out the Lifter at www.papasworkshop.net.  I just got one and it works great.

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 08:53:51 pm »
Congratulations on the new saw, I've got the same one and love it. I have a spring and chain going to the floor joist above my saw. Lift the arm, it stays, lower the arm, it stays. The parts were just laying around in my garage so cost was $0.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:55:27 pm by scotti158 »
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

SMF

Teknoromi