Author Topic: Sawdust safety  (Read 1499 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Sawdust safety
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »
I have been sanding and cutting quite a bit this year, and recently developed some rib cage pain. My MD took an xray and the radiologist thought he saw emphysema.  I've never been a smoker so I think he probably saw some irritation due to woodworking.

Can anyone comment on any toxicity in the dust, or any other experience similar to this? I do a little exotic, but mostly work with domestic hardwood (walnut, cherry, birch, oak, maple).

I will be ordering a dust collector. I've seen good reviews on this site for the Harbor Freight collectors. Any recommendation on the size needed for a small shop? Only one tool active at a time. Would the 1 HP model http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html be sufficient, or do I need to consider the 2 HP model http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html?

Thanks for any responses.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Sawdust safety
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:29 am »
I found out the hard way.  Walnut will tear up your lungs.  I have learned to use a dust mask on a few species of wood.  I have a toxicity chart in my shop that I check regularly.  I'm not at home right now but I'm sure someone will post it.  It has been posted here a few times over the years.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:22:36 am »
You must be careful, I have emphysema. I have an upgraded blower system to blow away dust, which is blown away into a awaiting collection system with a "dust deputy" seperator.
Here is a toxicity chart.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:25:13 am »
Here's what it looks like....
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:24 am »
See, I knew someone would repost it.  Take it seriously.  You don't realize what you are doing until you have already done damage.  I urge everyone to check this chart anytime they are using a species of wood new to them. 

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Ray WITH CAUTION
I cant believe you have not been using an extractor,but the type you are looking at is, from what I can see actually what would be classed as a chip extractor, thus the filtration level is  only about 6-8 microns.
This means that if the unit is inside the shop, then all you are doing is drawing the fine dust into the machine and then blowing it back out through the filter bag back into the shop thus its doing nothing.
Further more dust separators DO NOT extract all the dust.
At very minimum you need a machine that will filter to 0.5 microns if its going to be sited inside the shop.
I site mine in an adjacent shed, which of course means that all  dust is taken away and any residue from the machine is lodged well away.
As I read on this very site recently " if it aint on your glasses it aint in your lungs
it will eventually kill and thats any species of wood dust

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:54:35 am »
Thanks to all for the info.

I have printed the toxicity chart and will keep it handy. The worst I see there is rosewood (I've done a fair amount of cutting and sanding if various types) so it may be the main culprit. I also worked with a bunch of birch which is listed. I wonder why they don't list cherry - I think it's pretty bad before it is fully dried.

I've seen postings on the filtration level and I agree that a mounting outside the shop would be best practice for the dust collector. The enclosure will need good ventilation - a 2 HP blower can probably build up a lot of pressure if it's enclosed. The hole from shop to shed for the pipe to the collector will have to be sealed. I've started using a dust mask, but it's hot and uncomfortable this time of year.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Shogun

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:57 pm »
This post was very informative. I printed the chart also and will be more careful in the future because I work with a lot of walnut and do not have a dust collection system.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:06:35 pm »
Shogun, Walnut is my favorite wood to work with but it is toxic.  I don't have a collection system either.  I use a dust mask and a shop vac with a dust devil attached.  I make sure my blower is blowing away from me.  I ended up with a bad lung infection a couple years back because I didn't use anything.  I have an air cleaner on order and will eventually put in a collection system but all my big tools are on wheels so I can move them around and haven't figured out how I want to set up a collection system, so I just haven't done it yet.  Just be aware that it can hurt you.

SMF

Teknoromi