Author Topic: iS it just me or.....  (Read 4183 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
iS it just me or.....
« on: June 17, 2013, 02:17:39 pm »
are the "Scrolling" magazines catering to the Intarsia artists more and more and more and .....

Feeling very much like I should just let the subscriptions drop!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: iS it just me or.....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »
Tell the Editors what you think. They really do listen to what people ask.  Of course as a contributing editor I don't want to see you stop (either magazine!) and for the subscription price you still get lots of scroll saw patterns. 

Especially now though when magazines are hurting, they are listening to their subscribers.  I would drop them a note with your concerns.  There are only two scroll sawing magazines left and if they go down, there won't be any.  I think that would be sad!

I will also let them know what you said. :)

((HUGS))) Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:27:36 pm »
I dropped my subscription last year and have not purchased a copy of either this year for that very reason
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:32:00 pm »
Maybe we should produce our own monthly on-line publication. We have a lot of material here and could vote on best one or two entries in each area (I think we have a voting/survey capability on this site but I've never seen anyone do one). Would that fly? or is it enough to just scan the site?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:50:37 pm »
Maybe we should produce our own monthly on-line publication. We have a lot of material here and could vote on best one or two entries in each area (I think we have a voting/survey capability on this site but I've never seen anyone do one). Would that fly? or is it enough to just scan the site?
  I think that is a great idea! It would almost get competitive as far as people turning out some great work. Most people just scroll for fun and pleasure. If something like this happens, scrollers have a goal to get to with their work and are proud of it.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply Sheila....

I know that some of the 'editors' are members of other forums but I have not seen any of them here unless they are members under 'assumed identities'.
It might behoove them to be aware of this forum and drop in once in a while to 'test the waters' so to speak.
When I last contacted anyone at either magazine I was told they go with what their audience seems to want and that audience seems to be Intarsia now.

I just get tired of seeing a multitude of projects that I have neither the interest in nor the equipment nor space/facilities to work on.

SSWC has their own 'inhouse' forum which I drop in on occasionally but this is where I hang and where i will stay.

Sheila...maybe you could invite them over!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 02:41:10 am »
GB I have also been thinking along the same lines.  My subscriptions got another 2 years to run but I will seriously be considering terminating the subscription.  I have not made anything out of either of the mag's for quite sometime.  I will do as Sheila suggests and send off an email, I just hope they listen and not steam roll us.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:21 am »
Hey GB, I concur.  I dropped my subscription some time ago.  I enjoyed the magazine but found that I wasn't using the patterns and I am not into intarsia.  I also had contacted them but was told also that they had to cater to their audience.  I have copies going back to 94 so have quite a few patterns.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:12 am »
I also have some issuers with the pattern pages.  Usually the smaller one printed on the magazine page are OK, but the onse in the fold outs are for me, difficult at best.The holes from the staples and the folds  seem to have a mind of their own and appear right where I don;t want them.  The larger patterns are difficult to copy.  Closest large copier is a 50 mile round trip, and even then the folds-holes are sometimes a problem. I would most likely subscribe to a digital copy, even with the current content.  Just my 2 pennies worth.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:41:58 am »
Still being somewhat of a newbe I am a long way from Intarsia and have not made anything from the mags.  Seriously considering letting my subscription go when it expires as I just don't get much out of it.  I am strictly into craft items for now, maybe later when I get better I may try Intarsia.  Just my $00.02 worth. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:32:28 am »
Well here's my 2 cents....  Intarsia I have give a go and decided I wasn't equipped
or just wasn't close to getting excited.  Also have noticed more Intarsia in each
issue.  I just admire and turn the page.  And the Main thing that bothers me about
subscribing to SSWC mag. is the length of time in between copies.  2 months I think!
Anyway I really have lost the excitement of looking forward to each issue. Danny :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »
I have sent emails to the editorial staff of each of the mags and included a link to this 'thread'...I suggested that they should be members here and should be looking over the forum and checking on our fine site!

Let's just see if they are interested enough to reply to the email or join us and comment here!

~~~GB~~~

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
Reply from Bob Duncan of SSWC...

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the note. I've joined the site and am waiting for admin approval on my account, but I wanted to reply to you directly while I wait.

We do try to provide a mix of projects in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. In the Summer 2013 issue, for example, we've got:
5 fretwork (Celtic Knot, Dragonfly, Sea Life Photo frame, Sea Turtle Fretwork, Carousel Horse Clock
4 intarsia/segmentation: Up, Up, and Away, Noah's Ark, Mountain Lion, and Marine Life
2 boxes (which double as intarsia/marquetry)
2 "Gizmos"
1 Puzzle
1 Feature-type article

In the Spring 2013 Issue, we had only 2 intarsia.

In the Holiday 2012, we had 3 intarsia.

I've not been a member of the other forum long enough to get a feel for the kind of projects you like. But based on numbers on paper, it looks like we do mix it up quite a bit in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. Can you give me an idea of the types of projects you'd like to see more of?

Best regards,
Bob Duncan
Technical Editor
717-560-4703, ext. 146
Woodcarving Illustrated
Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts

Here is his email address so let's let him know what we want...<duncan@foxchapelpublishing.com>

~~~GB~~~

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »
AND...a reply from Creative Woodworks & Crafts...

Hi, Mr. Norman -
I received your email and have read the comments at the scrollsaw
workshop community forum. I'm sorry you feel that Creative Woodworks
& Crafts isn't meeting your expectations regarding our project mix.
We have tried to be very careful to limit our intarsia/segmentation
projects to a small percentage of the patterns provided in each
issue. However, I do realize that "page wise" the intarsia pieces can
take up more space because photos are much more useful for explaining
the shaping processes. I appreciate you letting us know your
concerns, and I hope to run a reader survey in the near future to get
a better handle on what types of projects our readers are looking for.

Again, thank you for contacting us, and please feel free to email me
regarding your thoughts on the magazine. We always want to feel we
are providing our readers with a mix of projects that is useful to
them, and if that is not the case, it's important for us to know.
Thank you for taking the time to address this, and I hope we are able
to keep you satisfied with the magazine and looking forward to each
new issue. (FYI, our holiday issue due out on August 13th has over
120 scrolled ornament patterns, so hopefully that will be of interest
to our scrollers!)

Sincerely,
Debbie McGowan

Here is her email address so let her know what you want!

<editors@woodworksandcrafts.com>

~~~GB~~~

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:14:21 pm »
well I think some sort of on line publication would be brilliant, bearing in mind we do not have anything over here in the UK
Dave

SMF

Teknoromi