Author Topic: Business card holder  (Read 1766 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Business card holder
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »
Here's a simple business card holder from Steve's CD. I added the initials cut through both top and bottom surfaces. It's made from 3 layers of 1/8" BB Ply, about 2.25x3.75 outside. The middle layer has a rectangle cut out so it forms a U shape to take the business cards.

I gave out cards from this holder at the Lancaster Handmade Market while talking to potential customers about portrait work. I sold 4 of these. Each was customized after the market and sent to the buyers. It cost $0.66 to mail it 1st class in a plain envelope. Top, side, edge views (there is a black card stuck in it to show off the characters). "ZZ" is my trade mark (something to do with snoozing on the couch).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ToverT

Re: Business card holder
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:37 pm »
Looks great!!! Very compact.  How did you do at the show? 

Tommy T

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:57 pm »
nice work

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:27 pm »
Looks great!!! Very compact.  How did you do at the show? 

Tommy T
Not much activity. I really went to the show to make contacts for photo-to-portrait work. Plenty of talking and I think interested people, but not much sales activity. Out of 17 vendors at the market, there were 5 selling woodwork and one of those was strictly selling scroll saw ornaments and wording. There was a non-competition rule at this market so I was restricted in what I was allowed to offer. Some pre-made portraits might have sold, but I didn't bring any with me to sell - just to show what portraits looks like and how they're made.

This was my first show - I learned some good display tricks that I'll try next month. I enjoyed meeting the folks and we had a nice morning outside. I'm glad I don't have to feed the family on this.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:51:38 am »
Very nicely done.  This is a great idea.  I saw one that was hinged in an article some time back.  Thanks for sharing this one with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:52:02 am »
Very good job, looks great, I really like the customization in the work, they are more appreciated.
Thanks for sharing

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:48:26 am »
Great job, nice work.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:49:06 am »
Please do share the display ideas.  How many business cards does it hold?  Do you mind sharing how much you were selling them for personalized?  They look nice.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:23 am »
Your trade mark adds a lot to the beautifully made card holder.

Mahendra
mahendra

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:53:42 pm »
Please do share the display ideas.  How many business cards does it hold?  Do you mind sharing how much you were selling them for personalized?  They look nice.
Display ideas
1. We had to set up with 2 legs of the pop-up on the sidewalks and 2 in the street. The guy next to me brought bricks so he could level a table with 2 legs in the gutter.
2. We had a strong gust of wind. If we had a pop-up cover we were required to add weights to hold it down. I got a good design for weights using 4" PVC, concrete, and bent re-bar. Worked great. But someone's shelf of stuff blew over, and the stained glass guy had one big panel that got caught by wind and broke.
3. Vertical arrangements are an efficient use of space. Poles with perches are good ways to do that. Shelves that allow a lot of space between items are good.
4. One guy brought some 12 ga wire and bent up hooks to hang items from his pop-up frame.
5. At the end of the day I realized my pop-up could have been raised another 6 inches on the telescoping legs. I was ducking all day to get in and out, and so were my visitors (at least the men were).
6. I got a sense of the demographics that might be interested in portraits. Women in their 40s seem to have the most need for unusual gifts and the most responsibility for family needs. Younger are looking for bling, and older want kitchen utensils.
7. Clear but small price tags seem to bring customers closer to look.
8. I need some signage to let people know what I'm offering (the portrait stuff).
9. I think I need to split things-to-buy (baskets, bowls, etc.) from things-to-order (portraits).

I was not planning to sell those card holders - I just put some of my cards in one to keep in my pocket and give to people when I spoke to them. One customer saw it and asked for one for her husband. On the impulse I said $5. I had to cut their initials into them so I took their details and cut them on Sunday, then sent them out on Monday.

With 3 layers of 1/8" BB Ply, it can hold 8 cards. I asked those customers if they were OK with that or if they'd prefer a 1/4" center to double the number of cards, but they all said to keep it thin. I like it thin as well. It fits in a pocket (shirt or pants) without getting in the way.Making the 4 new holders was quick - I cut the 12 rectangles on the table saw, stack cut the 4 center pieces, glued them at the same time, and monogrammed them. Kind of a production line operation.

When I sent them, I put 2 of my cards in each and a thank you note with a suggestion that they consider me for portraits, company awards and anniversary/project gifts. I guess I'll see if that pays out.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

countryscroller

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:27 pm »
Very nice Ray!  Where did you get your cards from? I was thinking of Vista Print and making me some for my work.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:41:22 pm »
My cards are from Vista Print. There are cheaper outfits (the advertised $10 seems to be a hoax). They did a good job. I also ordered some matching return address stickers from them that are kind of slick for sending items to people.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

saggioculo

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 03:31:17 am »
Wow!  Project looks great.  I really like how it came out.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 01:45:29 am »
Handy for a lady to keep in her purse.  I could do with one of those.  Great work EIEIO.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

rteubner

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »
I like that. I just might have to give that a go. Thanks for sharing

SMF

Teknoromi