Author Topic: Nephew's Wedding  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Nephew's Wedding
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:30 am »
I do not own a table saw and I am afraid of them.  Got hit hard with a piece of wood that went flying from a kick back.  That frame you made is really beautiful as is the project itself.  Your a true craftsman!

saggioculo,
It is possible to make really nice frames without the use of power tools.
There is a tool called a "miter box" and is used with a hand saw to cut almost any angle you might want. It is especially nice for cutting the 45 degree miters needed for picture frames. Also there are hand planes for cutting shapes and dadoes for the frames, however they can get expensive.
You can buy "frame" stock from a picture frame store or use indoor wood trim like door frame or window frame material at a big box store to get shapes for project frames.
Then again, nothing says that you HAVE to use miters. I've seen some good looking (more rustic) frames done with butt joints and I have even cut frames for smaller projects out of one larger piece of wood on the scroll saw.
I hope you can come up with some way to make "real wood" custom frames for your projects. I HATE PLASTIC FRAMES!   :) ;) ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: Nephew's Wedding
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:22 am »
Nice work.  Thanks for sharing with us.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi