Author Topic: Nephew's Wedding  (Read 1508 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Nephew's Wedding
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:21:51 am »
My sister asked for a portrait of my nephew and his fiance for their November wedding. I stack cut 3 of this pattern in 1/8" BB Ply and mounted two on 1/4" BB Ply painted black - one for the couple and the other for my sister. The 3rd cut will be used as a stencil for spray painting some t-shirts. I'll post some pics of the t-shirts later today. 

The frame is cut from 3/4" black walnut, with 1/8" maple splines in the corners, treated with BLO+Mineral Spirits and dried overnight. Portrait and frame have 2 coats of spray lacquer.

FYI - I cut the slots for the corner splines on a 10" table saw with 1/8" kerf blade. If you set the top of the 10" blade to 4 1/32" above the table surface, it will put the 45 degree saw cut at about 1/2" above the table surface. Set the fence 1/4" from the blade. With the frame on end and the outside surface against the fence, push the corner 1" into the blade to get a diagonal cut 1" deep on each side of the corner. The oversized 1/8" splines, cut so the grain runs diagonally through the corner, can be glued into the corners, dried, then trimmed with the table or scroll saw and sanded flat. It makes a strong corner joint and is a nice detail on the frame.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: Nephew's Wedding
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:52:08 am »
Nice job Ray, pattern, cutting, and frame.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:09:02 pm »
Good cut!
I am impressed with the frame! You did a great job and got very tight miters on the corners.
I have a suggestion or two also.
If at some time you find yourself with too much money in your pocket,  ::) you might consider buying a Freud box joint blade set. It consists of two 10" blades and depending on how they are stacked, You can make either a 1/4" kerf or a 3/8" kerf. They are great for cutting splines in larger frames as well as making box joints.
Also, I have been known to make splines across the miter joint on the face or back of the frame. I usually use the 3/8" set up on the back diagonally across the corners for "strength" joints on more plain frames or a 1/4" kerf across the face of the frame for an unusual spline decoration with a contrasting wood like you did.
Anyway, I enjoy making frames almost as much as I do small boxes.  ;D  A person can get really creative with them.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

saggioculo

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:21:31 pm »
Wow...that came out absolutely perfect.  So talented. 

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »
nice work thanks for sharing

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:00:55 pm »
Looks great, nice work. Thanks for sharing with us.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »
Looks great!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »
Very nicely doen project Ray.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

ToverT

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:10 am »
that looks great, I'm sure they will love it!  Nicely done!!

Tommy T

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:18 am »
great cutting job and great frame making!!
love the way the walnut looks.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 02:43:35 am »
EIEIO they will love it, you did a really fantastic job.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:41 am »
Fantastic job, looks great, thanks for sharing. ;)

saggioculo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:53 pm »
Did you make that frame?  I have to say, I'm quite jealous!!  I tried making a frame once.  What a disaster!  I had some really nice 3/4 oak and tried to make a simple frame.  I even watch a youtube video on how to make a frame.  I dug out my router which I rarely use....it was a NIGHTMARE!  That beautiful oak I had is now sitting in the scrap pile.  I ended up spending $26 for a plastic frame.  I should probably get rid of my router before I get it in my head that I know how to use it (again).

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »
To make this frame:
I cut this one on the table saw - no router. I had a piece of black walnut 7/8 x 2 x 34". I ripped two stick 3/4" wide, then reduced the 7/8 to 3/4" on the saw. Then set the fence to 1/4" from the blade and cut a 1/8" wide slot 3/8" deep (makes a slot from 1/4" to 3/8" from edge). Then flipped the stick and cut another 1/8" slot on the perpendicular side. That made a 3/8"x3/8" rabbit in one quarter of the stick.

Use a machinist square to set the table saw angle guide to an accurate 45 degrees and cut the corner miters for sides at 12" and 9.5" to fit the 8.5x11 portrait. Glued the corner miters, then set the table saw blade so the top of the saw blade is at 4 1/32" - that puts the 45 degree tangent of the blade at 1/2" above the table. Set the fence back to 1/4" between blade and fence and with the frame on its side push it 1" into the saw blade. That makes an almost-diagonal through the corner that is 1/8" wide, extending 1" along each side of the frame. I had some 1/8" maple left over from one of the sword jobs, so used that for the diagonals in the corners. With the maple grain running diagonal to the walnut, the corners are pretty strong. I used Gorilla wood glue on it - it's pretty strong and set up in 30 minutes.

Anyway, I like the frame. Not very fancy, but the walnut makes a nice contrast to the BB Ply.

BTW - on the back, I had a small rectangle of 1/8" BB ply left over, so it is cut up and used as the brackets to keep the portrait in the frame. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

saggioculo

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:23:50 pm »
I do not own a table saw and I am afraid of them.  Got hit hard with a piece of wood that went flying from a kick back.  That frame you made is really beautiful as is the project itself.  Your a true craftsman!

SMF

Teknoromi