Author Topic: phising and spam  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
phising and spam
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:50:18 am »
This morning with my coffee in hand  I was looking forward to Steve's email. 
I got two.  One was like this ***phishing*****
and the other was  ***SPAM****
There was no "regular" one.
Needless to say I did not open and deleted immediately.  Anyone else get it?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
Re: phising and spam
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:36:55 pm »
Was that from Steve's website or just the general garbage that floats around the net?

Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:03:21 pm »
It said Scrollsaw Workshop
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »
Judy, not sure if this is pertinent or not.  Sunday am, if I remember correctly, I went onto Steve's web site and found an odd link in the daily posting.  I followed it and it was totally not related to anything Steve might link to.  Unfortunately I can't recall the verbiage on Steve's site and can't recall what the link lead to.

I went back to Steve's site in the afternoon and the link was gone.  From this, I suspect Steve was hacked and that he removed the bad link as soon as he was aware of it. 

Whether or not the bad link is related to your problem or not, I can't say.  It does seem you are the only one reporting spam/fishing apparently coming from Steve.

Good luck figuring it out.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:50:52 am »
Hi Judy, there is a lot of that going on lately. For the last month I have been receiving phishing/spam from family and friends that I know they did not send. It is becoming more and more common on the internet. Fortunately I did not get that one from Steve.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »
Judy get Vipre anti-virus internet security 2013. And also get vipre registry cleaner.

Once you buy it you never have to pay again never.

This well stop you from going to bad websites or bad links as well.

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »
A better solution is to grab the Free Avast! and a registered copy of Malwarebytes. You can get the free version of MB but the registered copy is life time, and can be had for between 12 and $15 when its onsale and WELL worth the costs.  8)

I am very fussy about my malware and virus security, I have been know to travel to some darker sides of the internet from time to time  :o

At the moment one of the more annoying gimmics is a popup that says your Adobe or Flash is out of date and prompts you to update it now!  If you think you are on a bad website or page, close your browser, If you suspect you have an infection... Stop and run your antivirus and malware checker.  If you think you need an update on your installed software, never click on a popup or email offer... go directly to the software companies website and download it from them.

Unfortunately even the BEST antivirus software runs as much as 30 days behind the curve from the time a new virus hits the internet until a cure is passed to the consumers.
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

IBMer

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:36:24 pm »
I'm a volunteer with Infragard in the IT sector.   I see alerts all day about new computer scams.    If something doesn't look right, you are better off deleting it without opening.   You can always ask the sender for a new copy if you think it was legitimate.   Hackers have become very sophisticated.  Once they have an "in" for your computer, they can take control of it, and use it to hack into other people's machines by giving the impression that you are sending them messages.

They used to be easier to spot with their poor use of the English language and terrible spelling mistakes, but this is no longer the case today.  Something to keep in mind, no company will ever email you to "Verify" your account, or personal information.  Unless you just signed up for new access to something and are immediately getting a confirmation email to verify that your email is legitimate, otherwise chances are that someone is phishing to steal your information.     Facebook is a major source of details since it has your name, age, location, relationships, workplace and such.   My girlfriend recently got a text message from a friend saying that she was in trouble and needed money sent to her.  Fortunately, we knew that her friend was in Germany on vacation.  The message appeared pretty darned legitimate.   The person knew my girlfriend's name, place of work and cell phone number which they hacked from her friend's facebook account.   It's scary what someone can do with a little information about you!

Personally, I think that computer hackers should be treated as Terrorists.    They may not use bombs, but they still terrorize people, damage personal property and make our lives miserable which I believe meets the criteria of a terrorist.   If a few were picked up and sent to Gitmo, I bet the rest would think twice before stealing information or hacking into our computers.

SMF

Teknoromi