Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 3923 times)

Shogun

Need some advice
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:08:53 pm »
Hi everyone, I need a little advice. I'm in the process of making a personalized hammer for a guy that did some welding on my Delta POS a while back. I don't know what kind of wood this handle is (It's a Stanley 13 0z.) but it is so hard that I went thru 3 blades just cutting out the M and they still burned the wood real bad. I double checked that the blade was right side up and all that stuff and was good to go. I actually considered trying a jeweler's blade, lol. The letters are 3/4" and I'm using my preferred blade, an FDUR #5. Those are the only two blades I have on hand. Any way, I would appreciate any suggestions as to what blade might do better. Thanks in advance.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:33 pm »
not sure on the blade , but most hammer shafts are mostly hickory HTH
Dave

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:23:42 pm »
I would try a FD polar #5 or#7. The polar blades have a slight set to the teeth to help clear the sawdust and help prevent burning. To help lubericate the blade, apply some blue painters tape first, then the pattern and finally, some clear packing tape. Hickory is a very tough wood to cut, but using these steps should work for you.
Dan In Southern California

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »
This listing http://www.amazon.com/home-improvement/dp/B00002X1XA describes it as a hickory handle. Besides lubrication with tape, you might try slowing down the saw speed to get more time for the blade steel to transfer the heat away from the wood, and take some break time (maybe cut along the 3/4" side of a letter then pause 5 seconds with the saw running) between cuts.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Shogun

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:58:55 pm »
Thanks guys, I already did the double tape thing before I started so I'll try pausing more as my saw is not variable, if that doesn't work I may need to order some blades. Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »
Get in touch with Mike! He will have the answer....

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Shogun

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 05:01:19 am »
I just want to say thanks for the help. I got home from work tonight and got the "personalized hammer" done. I think it was a combination of the wrong blade and trying to cut too fast. All I have on hand is the #5 blades I mentioned before, and I was already cutting slow, but, I cut that speed in half and did ok. I had never cut hickory before and this was mf first hammer project so here is what I learned; 1, use the largest blade possible, with the fewest teeth possible, 2, cut slow...and I mean slow, sometimes as your cutting there is a raspy hum just under the sound of your motor, that's the sound of your blade cutting the wood, if you can't hear that your cutting too fast, 3, if you don't see any saw dust or if it's darker than the wood you're cutting, you're cutting too fast, 4 the harder the wood the slower you need to cut. Especially if you're like me and your saw is not variable speed.
If it wasn't for you guys this would have been wasted effort. Thank you.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:39 am »
Did you get a picture of the finished hammer? I'd like to see what it was you were doing.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:40:57 am »
This is what he is doing.
Steve did a video on it back in 2010 or so. It requires making a jig to cut the handle but, it is fun to do. However, the hammer is not of much use and very uncomfortable to the hand.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:46:31 am »
These hammers would be for presentation only, to hang on the wall of your Man Cave.
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »
I did the same thing a few years ago on some hatchet handles for gifts.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Gary Morris

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 05:23:20 pm »
here in Birmingham, UK we call them 'Brummy Screwdrivers'  :)

Offline dirob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:48 am »
If available try the Pegas modified geomentry #5 it is great on hard wood espically if used in conjunction with clear tape on the work
R F R

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »
Gary, In Cornwall we call them a "Fine Tuning Instrument"  ;D
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:53:24 am »
On my jobsites we used to call them "U A T"s...

Universal Adjustment Tool!!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi